cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

arukDave
9: Established

@SRM

Quote:-

You might have thought that the biggest phone mobile / broadband providers could get their products to talk to each other, or am I being hopelessly naive ?!?

UnQuote...

<VBG>

Politics!   Same as why we can't have home territory roaming when mobile.  Let "Market Forces" decide who's best.   None of the telco's have coverage everywhere, (edited in accordance with House Rules) if you travel the UK for a living.    If we could use "another network" when our home network is not available, that might encourage some investment in infrastructure, perhaps..     Travel to Europe (or beyond) and notwithstanding the costs racked up sometimes, the resulting mobile coverage is seamless as ones handset just picks the strongest signal wherever you are.

Same as why they wont talk with each other, to ensure their kit interoperates correctly, keeping us the paying customers happy, after all, where does all their money come from?  Us of course!

Plus, VF should be only too aware of compatibility issues, just scroll back up this illustrious list to see them.   (100+ pages of!)

Your comment about using a LAN "Switch" reminds me of something I found.   The SS's do not work if connected via a "Hub", but (ours at least) is working fine connected via a "Switch" to our router, with a separate server doing the DHCP thing too.    I suspect that's a crude anti hacking precaution (but easily overcome if one does need to monitor what they do) as much as anything.

If I ever have enough kit, I would like to monitor just how they connect to the outside, as from my own experience, and that of some others, I suspect that opening ports & allowing address ranges etc is smoke and mirrors.  What the critical factor I suspect is, is to allow fragmented packets through*, or making sure that -all- the infrastructure between them and VF's servers, has a default MTU of 1500.   (That you can't guarantee of course, hence packets get broken up, or "fragmented".)

* Something that the later BT "Business Hub" boxes can't do it seems. 

Plus (as in our situation) we have other VPN's in use, that use the same technology (protocols and ports etc) as the Sure Signal, so blanket assigning specific ports/protocols to one internal static IP address, is, err, "less than desirable"...

Have a nice day everybody...

Dave B.

(Never was part of Vodafone, though was once a personal customer...)

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @SRM 

It's still not showing a connection unfortunately. Can you possibly try a different router to see if this works?

Although we haven't been told of a compatibility issue with the Business Hub 5, there does appear to be a few of you with the same problem. I've fed this back to be looked into. 

@Niccolo - The steps on your traceroute need to be less than 200. As yours are so high please speak to your internet provider. They'll be able to help further. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Please could one of the Tech team reply to my post above.

Thanks,

Chris

No chance mate !

Thanks for your response @KAY - I don't have another fibre router in the office. I have a BT Home Hub 3 at home I could try - but suspect I may have the same incompatibility issues.

Could I get a responce to my message please!

You're asking a lot...I've  been on here for 3 months now and  I usually  get no response, or a response  from someone  completely  different...and  usually days and days later !! However, if you swear...they pick it up straightaway!!!!

Hi.

If you've not already done so, spend some time trawling back through the history on this list.

Lots of information that could help you.   If you find something you don't understand, come back here and ask.

Regards.

Dave B

(Not part of Vodafone)

I am really starting to get annoyed with Vodafone customer services!

They were in the past very good but in the last 6 months I have notcied a big change.

I am starting to think I might move away from them, we give the thousands of pound a month for our contract and they can't even answer you.

I wont even get started on other things I have asked our account manager for!!

And I have had a good look through all the post and nothing listed helped :Sad_face:

Gogar

Check out the O2 Tu GO system...it's an app ( not a  £100 gadget!!)  that performs  the  same function as  suresignal ( i.e. using your  router). Sounds a lot  simpler....and cheaper !