cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

@andyu1 – We’ve checked this and the IP address is on the white list. 

For more information on the Wi-Fi calling take a look at our statement

@duncanblowe – Have you been to the store? 

Let us know how you get on.  

@samsurfer – Since you’ve checked the port forwarding on the router, have you done a reset on the Vodafone Sure Signal? 

See below –

1.     Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)

2.     Keeping the reset button held, remove and re-insert the power lead.

3.     Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button.

4.     The VSS should come online within the hour.

If you’re still having issues with this, please try the device in a different location and where possible with a different ISP (internet service provider) 

Hello. Like I said, I'm going to the shop tomorrow. I'm not paying for a ticket to the US so I can visit 'a store'.

However can I point out that this thread is about the VSS3. I've seen a number of posts from the VF tech team advising people about resetting the VSS3. Many of them suggest removing the power cord. Can I suggest looking at a photograph of the VSS3 as its does not have a power cord. It plugs direct into a power socket. It might stop your tech team giving out advice that is plain wrong.

Even ignoring this and following the advice regarding the reset button, it doesn't follow the pattern you suggest. I've tried holding the button down, and nothing happens until you get armache and release the button. I've waited almost five minutes at times (yes I've tried this probably fifty times by now). If I let go of the button after maybe ten seconds all the lights go out and then it restarts. If I hold it for longer than around thirty seconds then when I let go the lights go out and don't come back on at all unless I press it again or unplug it and plug it back in. I'm pretty sure this follows what other users (but not VF tech support) have said. No idea if its ever properly reset though as I have no proper instructions.

#getting really wound up now if you couldn't tell!

Well that did wonders for my satisfaction with VF.

I went to the VF shop this morning.  After standing in a queue waiting for 45 minutes, it took thirty seconds to be told 'that needs a network cable and we don't have broadband in our shops'.

So, as the item isn't fit for purpose, how do I return it to VF for a refund, please?

@duncanblowe

I’m sorry to hear about this.

As this has been working fine previously, you wouldn’t be able to return it.

You can however, send it away for repair.

Please try the Sure Signal on a different internet connection. This will help you see if it's faulty.

I would be able to return it. SOGA says for something to be fit for purpose, it should remain working for a reasonable amount of time. Nine months is not reasonable for something that costs this much money. It's so useless no-one can tell me whether its the box or the communication that is at fault.  Even if its not the box itself, if its not possible to show conclusively that its not the box, I contest the box is fauty and I'm sending it back.

Please explain to me how to test it 'on another internet connection'. I went to the local VF shop as I said above and they sent me away. In my office the network has security set up that I wouldn't be able to bypass to mess around with the port settings you seem to need. It doesn't work at home. My nearest relative is a two hour round trip (plus the fuel) and anyway since they don't work for VF why should I waste their time as well as mine?

Tell me how to fix it, or tell me how to return it for a refund.

Oh, and one of your links doesn't work, the other just sends me to a page to buy a new one. Not a chance!

Although I suppose technically, if it's stopped working so soon, it would be the 'not of merchantable quality' section of SOGA.

Hi Laura

You said:

start quote>

Since you’ve checked the port forwarding on the router, have you done a reset on the Vodafone Sure Signal? 

See below –

1.     Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)

2.     Keeping the reset button held, remove and re-insert the power lead.

3.     Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button.

4.     The VSS should come online within the hour.

<end quote

I have a v3 SureSignal. It doesn't have a power lead. This thread is about v3 SureSignals isn't it?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

@duncanblowe – Wayne has confirmed you’ll need to send it for repair.

Your Sure Signal is covered through a 12 month warranty.

@samsurfer – I can see from one of your previous posts, there was some confusion over the ports to be opened.

Just to double check they’re open as follows:

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

Please see below for how to perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in

Allow around 1 hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Hi Gemma

All those ports are open and all those addresses (with 212 before each one) are allowed.

However - if I try to rest the SureSugnal using your instructions, nothing happens. Specifically if I unplug the cable from the SureSignal and hold the reset button down nothing happens. The power light keeps flashing and the right side light stays steady orange. I've kept it held for several minutes and hothing happens. I assume from your instructions that the lighst are supposed to go out and come back on. They don't go out unless I release the reset button.

Is the device faulty?

@ Gemma. You have posted the same broken link to the repair information as Wayne. It's still broken.

In reply to someone else, you also posted IP addresses with missing numbers that I pointed out when someone did it to me. Can you guys not get your scripts fixed?

You also posted incorrect reset information, again. Again I had pointed out that holding the button down does not cause the lights to go out at all until the button is released.

If you can send me a working link for the repair information, I'll consider it, but not if it has me wasting even more hours on your junk box.