cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Thanks, I will give it a go and report back.

The router is a Draytek 2830n.

mines the same again.

i dont think it changed.

same issue

speedtest

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=137399529505397

my ip external ip

VSS: fixed ip 192.168.1.99

Suresignal ser no. 

Traceroute

C:\Users\Dan00>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
2 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms esr6.sheffield3.broadband.bt.net [217.47.73.145]

3 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms 217.47.73.77
4 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms 213.1.69.38
5 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms 217.41.169.102
6 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms 217.41.169.67
7 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms 217.41.169.107
8 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms 109.159.251.81
9 37 ms 38 ms 39 ms core2-te-0-13-0-11.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159
.251.185]
10 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms host213-121-193-156.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.193.1
56]
11 55 ms 38 ms 93 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
12 40 ms 40 ms 39 ms 85.205.116.14
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19        etc etc etc 30

forwarding on the router: 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500

reset router, reset VSS many times.

also i have been on with live chat support. They did a reset and said 1-6hrs

no joy

dan

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey folks,

Dan - I can see your Sure Signal resynchronised about 25 minutes after your post last night. Is this now up and running again? If not then I'll push a manual resynchronisation through instead this end. :Winking_smiley:

Steve - You've opened the correct ports and looking at your serial number 40131565596, the last time it 'touched base' was the 16th July.

Was the test you carried out using different Ethernet cables too? If so, it could be a fault with the Sure Signal if you're seeing the same light sequence on a standard connection. If that's the case, then a repair is our only option.

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the prompt response. I double checked with my mate how he did the test. He reports -

Standard Ethernet Cable l-r - Flash Off Solid Solid
Swapping cables needed another 20-30 mins for things to settle then-
Supplied Cable l-r - Flash Off Solid Solid for a short time ie 5mins
, but then the supplied cable seemed to drop its connection,Solid Red, white light flashing, no orange lights. like this for 30 mins then gave up. Perhaps my internet is too sloooooow.

My thoughts -
1. It looks as though there's a fault in the supplied cable. The router doesn't know the Sure Signal is there & won't assign it an IP address.
2. Use a standard cable & the router talks with the Sure Signal. However, there's a problem with the internet connection. When plugged in here, it takes the Sure Signal around 5 minutes to decide all is not well. When at my mate's place, it takes 30 minutes. Do we have a different problem with the same symptoms?
3. You say the Sure Signal contacted your servers on 16th, when my mate was carrying out the tests. He has a very slow broadband connection (<1Mb). Did he get through to you, but after 30 minutes, the connection was rejected on speed grounds?

If I'm right, the problem is here or with my ISP or at your end. There's nothing wrong with the Sure Signal other than a faulty cable. If so, there's no point in my sending it away for repair, but I'm happy to do so if you say it's the logical next step.

Any other possibilities?

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to us.

When you were using the supplied cable and got the solid power light with the flashing internet light, this means the Sure Signal is being configured which can take up to 6 hours to complete.

If you disconnected after 30 minutes, this would have interrupted the process.

You need to have a minimum download speed of 1Mbps and a minimum upload speed of 0.3Mbps for the Sure Signal to work correctly. You may need to talk to your ISP to see about an increase in your broadband speed.

If you have other devices on your network that use the connection and this drops the available bandwidth below the 0.3Mbps, the Sure Signal connection will drop. This may explain the difference between your experiences and those of your mate.

Your unit connected at 23:57 on 16 July but I can’t see how long the connection was for.

Can you try the supplied cable again and let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

im sorry still the same error lights on

Hi Andrew,

I've done as you asked, even though I'm repeating tests I've done several times before. Here's the sequence -

Supplied Cable

23/7

08:50 - Power light on. After a few seconds changes to -

08:50 - Power light on, Internet light flashes white. Then, by -

08:55 - Power light flashes, Internet light is out, In Service & In Use lights solid orange. Left for 6 hours+ -

15:35 - Unchanged from 08:55.

My router (192.168.1.1) has allocated 192.168.1.254 to the Sure Signal which I can ping successfully.

Standard Ethernet Cable

23/7

15:40 - Power light on. After a few seconds changes to -

15:40 - Power light on, Internet light flashes white. Then, by -

15:42 - Power light flashes, Internet light is out, In Service & In Use lights solid orange. Left overnight -

24/7

11:00 - Unchanged from 15:42 on 23rd.

My router (192.168.1.1) has allocated 192.168.1.254 to the Sure Signal which I can ping successfully.

The only difference from previous tests is that both cables give the same result, whereas before the router wouldn't talk to the Sure Signal at all when the supplied cable was plugged in. I suggest that all that shows is that there's an intermittent fault where it had appeared the error was permanent.

I presume the flashing internet light shows the Sure Signal is attempting to access the net. Within a couple of minutes something times out & thereafter the light pattern signals the error. We know my connection speed is fine & that the path through to your servers is open (we did the standard tests weeks ago) & have eliminated the potential port forwarding issue by configuring the router manually. What else can we try?

Best regards,

Steve 

Hi Guys,

@ danhick -  I can see that your Sure Signal still hasn’t connected since the beginning of the month which leads me to believe that you are being affected by this issue.

To verify this, please can you try this on a different internet connection (not BT) to see if you get the same problem?

@ graham295 – The IP address that you’ve given isn’t on the whitelist which is stopping the Sure Signal from connection.

Looking at the RIPE database I can see that it’s a UK registered IP range, so I’ve requested for this to be added for you.

@ steve0819 – One last thing to test before we look at getting a case raised for you is to try and lower the security settings on your Virgin Media connection.

Basically although the ports are open, we have seen a few issues in the past with this type of setup and lowering the security settings on the router does seem to remedy the issue.

James

Thanks James

Much appreciated

Is there a problem with the adding numbers still, please see below:

Also when I log into vodafone, my account, and manage the sure signal, add users - I get an error that says

"Sorry, we're having a technical problem at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes"

Its been a couple of days now, or is this because we cant connect yet

Cheers

Graham

Hi graham295, 

It shouldn't make a difference, you should still be able to add/remove numbers. Try a different Internet browser to see if you still getting the same error message. 

danHick, this has still not updated since the 2nd July. Can you deregister the Sure Signal and then reregister after 24 hours? If the issue is the same after this please try it at a friend or family members house on a different Internet connection. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Kay