cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

llcooljsl
2: Seeker
Thanks for the reply.

I've made some progress:

I removed the dhcp reservation, re-did the port forwarding to the dynamic IP.
Reduced NAT security.
Took the device out of DMZ.
Enabled PPTP and IPSEC ALG
Reset the device
I could then see an outbound session on port 500

The device then changed to red lights on the right hand 2 lights.

Can you check if your system detected a contact from it last night?

When you try to reset these devices, the lights don't go out until you release the reset button and this happens after 3 seconds or 300 seconds.

I typically count to 30 and release.

I haven't tried it with the Ethernet cable disconnected.

I'll try that later today.

I'll also try it at my friends house tomorrow.

Is there no way to get diagnostic logs from these devices?

Regards

Jamie

llcooljsl
Btw I know the port forwarding will need updating when the IP changes but this will be rare

Hi llcooljsl,

It still hasn’t connected to the server and the new light sequence is usually down to an authentication problem.

This is normally resolved by doing a reset as mentioned above.

If you can try this at your friend’s house, it will help identify exactly where the problem lies.

James

llcooljsl
Ok I'll try both and report back. Thanks

llcooljsl
Is that definitely the reset steps for the latest generation sure signal ? Thanks

llcooljsl
Ok I've tried to reset it.

On this version, with or without the Ethernet cable plugged in if you hold in the reset button nothing happens. I held it for at least 2 minutes until my thumb began to hurt.

Nothing happened, the amber lights stayed on.
I let go and all the lights go off and after about a minute the red power light comes back on.

I then reconnect the Ethernet cable.

The white internet light pulses for a while and I can see lots of outbound sessions on the router.

After a while it changes to two amber lights on the right hand 2 lights.

The Ethernet port has a solid green light and a flashing yellow / orange light.

It shows 3 outbound sessions on UDP port 500 but the error lights are still present.

Is there anything else I can try?

Regards

Jamie

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the update. The Sure Signal should reset sooner, however as it's still not contacted our servers it's not set up fully.

If you're unable to test the unit on a friend, relative or neighbours connection for an hour or so, I'd recommend a repair.

Before doing so, it's also worthwhile speaking to Zen to see if they have any firewalls set up that are preventing your Sure Signal setup and to see if they can improve your download speed to the 4.13Mbps minimum requirement.

Cheers, Ben

llcooljsl
Thanks for your help Ben. I think I'll just get a refund.
It should be a plug and play device, expecting the average user to do all these tests and open ports on their routers is unrealistic.

There's no diagnostic capabilities on these devices beyond trying it at a friends house or looking at the lights on the device. Constantly resetting and waiting an hour in hope that it will work isn't troubleshooting.

It needs to be plug and play and it needs a web console for troubleshooting.

Given that we need these devices to fix the lack of coverage from Vodafone it also should be a free device not £100.

I'll have to see who provides coverage in my area and switch providers, which is a shame as I've been with Vodafone several years.

Regards

Jamie

Hi llcooljsl

I’m sorry to see that.

For the vast majority of customers (myself included) the Sure Signal IS plug and play.

There are literally thousands of different combinations of set ups, routes through the network, router configurations etc, so on occasion, a little ‘tinkering’ may be needed to push things through.

We currently make a loss on each Sure Signal device we sell. So giving them away for free isn’t something that’s possible I’m afraid.

Keep an eye on our coverage checker though for any improvements that may come down the line.

Thanks

Wayne

I don't want to start an argument , but I think it is misleading to state that the vast majority of sure signal users are able to just 'plug and play'. There are lhundreds, if not thousands of users on this forum that are having problems, and I have had constant issues over a 12 month period and am on my 3rd sure signal.

I am able to VPN into my corporate network from pretty much anywhere, using a variety of devices and networks, but the sure signal is anything but 'sure'. I don't know why the tunnel keeps failing, but when it does, it takes days to re-establish.

When it is working, it is a godsend, but my heart sinks every time I notice the amber lights of doom.