Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone ROSS Thoughts

adrianforrester
4: Newbie

Hi,

Given the information provided, isn't this just a backward step.

With other networks offering WiFi calling? Especially given the area this device will cover and the amount of effort involved to cover effectively a small area. Never mind the fact that it will still be dependent on someones Internet connection, which still has to be above 4Mbps. So basically Vodafone install the kit, which is the same as the home sure signal, just weatherproofed and with larger aerials/antennas, and uses someone else's electricity supply and Internet connection for the foreseeable future, but Vodafone still make money on the calls made?! Or until they decide that it's just silly and swaps network. Never mind the fact that for it to be worth anyone's time everyone with a phone in the region would need to be on Vodafone. I am not aware of any extended family that use the same network, let alone a whole village.

Never mind the compatibility related issues, just check the forums regarding the current crop of Sure Signal/Router issues, there are loads including my own. That may just make me a skeptic, but it just seems like a weird way to want to do things.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi adrianforrester,

Thanks for your feedback and it's much appreciated.

Signal in rural areas, plus blackspots is an issue for all networks. 

The Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal programme is a different approach.

We've found that the pilot schemes have worked very well, so decided to offer this other rural communities, who qualify.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi,

I live in Rural Gloucestershire so can appreciate the sentiment, especially with the way signal can be where we are as I too live in a 'blackspot'. However it just seems a awfully complex for the 'reward'.

Regards

Adrian

But what are you suggesting as an alternative? Remember these locations seem to be ones where there is little or no service from any provider unless you drive somewhere out of the village often up a hill (at least the one I know of is like this). So normal mobile mast coverage can be ruled out as there is clearly something geographic or economic that is preventing any provider running a normal service.

Maybe as you say wifi is an alternative but who would provide this and will it effectively cover a village (or do you just mean for your own home). I agree it's not ideal but there has to be some incentive for the provider. Clearly this one is designed to encourage those in the village to switch to Vodafone but it doesn't stop anyone else coming up with alternatives. Also I think Vodafone do cover the cost of the broadband lines as they want separate dedicated ones.

Hi,

My thought process is as such:

WiFi calling is already available on other major networks (Three, O2, EE are working towards it and finally BT offer it with their landline package) and only requires a WiFi access point. Add to this the issue is primarily that in most cases people would be wanting to use their mobile around their home or local watering hole. From this, both prospective regions could equally easily have a broadband connection that would facilitate this.

Admittedly with the range of WiFi, per hotspot you won't get the broad coverage that the dedicated hardware may offer. However lets say, best case scenario, a group of people who require signal have for the sake of this example BT supplied broadband. That then allows the other BT users access to that WiFi hotspot, bearing in mind Vodafone data allowance includes BT WiFi usage, so no sting in the tail so far. In all, you would have a matrix of hotspots, with the potential of WiFi phone calls.

Now looking at the Vodafone proposal. The device they supply for all intents and purposes is like a normal Sure Signal, as I said, just with bigger aerials/antenna and without the requirement to register handsets to the device, this is actually just a software switch, and given information I have seen, not a big issue to implement, its already in the base code of the devices (the VSS1 was 'hacked' years ago and this was shown in a proof of concept).

Now I have a few questions relating to a potential surveyed area. Important factors would be how many people are already on Vodafone, and from the remaining 'potential customers' how many people are aware of the cost in termination of any existing contract for the uptake of Vodafone, so they can improve signal coverage? And by improve on, if they are already on a network and have home broadband, they can have phone signal (with exception of EE, but as above, give 'em time). Out and about, granted there may not be a lot of signal on offer, and it may not be a suitable business solution, however there may need to be more thought put into the concept. There is more to take into account than just population density.

Additionally to this, regarding the cost of Broadband lines, there is no stipluation as to who is responsible. And as it's an installation on potentially a private property there are all kinds of potential issues, whether it be overall responsibility, insurance and liability for the equipment and line.

I can only go on what I'm aware of and there Vodafone covered the broadband costs are they want dedicated lines, not ones the landlord uses for everything else. I think the landlord needs to cover the cost of power for the units but that's probably not much and there will obviously be an agreement the landlord enters into with Vodafone covering the other things you mention. Not uncommon as mobile providers have lots of equipment on other people's premises (although they normally pay for the privelege)!

I don't disagree with what you say about wifi but to be honest that doesn't sound so easy either. Lots of people just want a phone that works normally and telling them they need to have wifi, configure it and maybe install an app to make calls is beyond them. With this all they need to know is that they need to use a certain provider (which they can understand) and the phone has to be 3G (perhaps a slight complication for a few).

Also remember this is just another solution. It doesn't prevent other solutions and just to get it the local community already has to support it.

davidowenrogers
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

Looking at the T&C for the ROSS programme

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions/rural-open-sure-signal/index.htm

Point 26. Property owners in successful communities will be required to sign an agreement with Vodafone in relation to the Open Sure Signal unit installed on their property.

Before I offer my home as a potential site to our village champion, can I see a copy of this document? My insreres are also interested!

Best regards,

David

Hi davidowenrogers,

I've asked if this is possible, I'll be back to update you as soon as I know :).

Thanks,

Sukhi

Hi davidowenrogers,

The application phase requires suggestions for locations where we can site Open Sure Signal units. These won’t be treated as final until our engineers have visited your community and carried out necessary assessments to establish where units would be best placed.

Once it’s confirmed that your community is successful for the Rural Open Sure Signal programme, we’ll work with you to agree final sites for the units. At this stage the agreement will be presented to the necessary landlords and property owners to ensure they’re happy and any arrangements can be made with insurers.

Thanks,

Simon

Hello Simon,

Sadly the lack of clarity on the contract homeowners are required to sign is a stumbling block for some. The matter of access, wayleave agreement, insurance, maintainance schedules (amongst others) have prevented some interested people from coming forward. Without this information we cannot proceed.