Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone SS2 lost connection

aomega001
4: Newbie

Upon returning home this afternoon I founfd that the SS has no connection I have used the trouble shooter and all the boxes have been ticked along with several resets and power cyles but still no connection.

I have looked and there is no planned maintenance in this area.

I have checked that the SS has an IP in my routers settings which it does.
I completed a tracert and the result is below

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\PAULS>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1  General failure.

Trace complete.

What is a general failure?

Does it mean that the servers for the SureSignal are down or am I missing something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

13 REPLIES 13

Now you have lost me, the initial tracert tests I did were going to the Vodafone servers cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk. and to the bank yes the ping times were very high +200ms.

As for your statement about the ping times on the second lot of tests I did none of the sites pinged were anywhere near 200ms.

www.virginmedia.co.uk

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 12ms  TTL 120

www.google.co.uk

Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms  TTL  44

www.ebay.co.uk

Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms  TTL 57

www.vodafone.co.uk was the only one to time out with all packets lost.

So I fail to see the point you make about the time for the packets to reach their destination being over 200ms where does it state that?

Perhaps cut and past the figures you mean to your next reply to clarify your statement?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi aomega001,

As James mentioned, he is referring to the original test. If your speeds and connections are up and down between tests, this suggests an inconsistent internet service.

Your ISP are the best ones to speak to about this, as we can only help with the Sure Signal if your line is connecting to us.

Many thanks, Ben

Hi,

Ben please read his reply thoroughly before replying I quote below

"Although the additional tests show that there is no packet loss, the time it takes for these packets to reach their destination is too high for the Sure Signal to work."

He was refering to the additional tests as implied, there was no reference to the earlier tests within that sentence.

It just seems that I can ping every site bar Vodafones so don't try to blame Virgin the sure signal is connected to your servers even though I cannot ping them the SS serial number is 40122420843, speedtest result http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3459680429 and ping test resultshttp://www.pingtest.net/result/96405912.png  my external ip address is 62.255.196.102.

As you can see all the results are good so why can't I ping your servers seems very odd is there a blacklist???

Hi aomega001,

Your IP address is on the whitelist so we aren’t blocking any connection from our end.

I can see that there’s a bit of confusion here.

When you do a traceroute it will ping each step that the signal takes through your network until it reaches our server.

It’s strange to see why you can’t ping our server using the traceroute command but this isn’t something that we have control over.

Each of these pings, need to be under 200ms for the Sure Signal to work.

When you did a traceroute to the US bank, it still shows the route through your network before going over to the IP address you pinged.

You can see that there are a number of hops on this test that you’ve done where the ping times are over 200ms as shown below.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 249 ms 228 ms 265 ms 1-196-255-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [6
2.255.196.1]
3 133 ms 179 ms 223 ms glfd-core-2a-ae3-3810.network.virginmedia.net [6
2.254.207.97]
4 266 ms 188 ms 210 ms brnt-bb-1a-ae17-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.89]
5 202 ms 208 ms 248 ms brnt-bb-2a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254

Due to this, it means that the Sure Signal won’t be able to open and maintain a connection to our server.

Once these show under 200ms, we’ll be able to help further.

The second set of tests that you did is around packet loss which is different to the traceroute.

These results are fine as it shows that there wasn’t any packet loss.

The problem isn’t that the data packets are lost but the time it takes for them to be transmitted across your network.

James