Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal - BT home hub 2, VPN connection issues

tekneq
Not applicable
If anyone is trying to use there Vodafone sure signal box on a BT Home hub 2 router you will need to follow these instructions to get the VPN to connect through, initially I just had the power light and the @ light coming on but now it's working fine so here's what to do.

On your computer, go to the browser and type http://192.168.1.254

Then it will ask for a password which is written on the back of the router (I think it suggest that you change it at this point too)

Then click on the 'settings' tab at the top

Then click 'advanced settings' and hit the 'continue to advanced settings' button

Then click 'Broadband' from the menu and then click 'VPN'

Then you are presented with an option to 'enable port clamping' which you need to change to 'YES' and hit apply.

Voila, give it a minute or two and you will see the 'tick' light on the vodafone box begin to flash and then go solid and if you have successfully registered your mobile then the 'mobile' light will flash slowly and you'll see your signal is full.

If not try a reboot of the vodafone box and or router.

Hope this helps.
4 REPLIES 4

philip42h
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Do you / does anyone know why or how this 'works'?

I'm not trying to challenge the 'fix', just understand what this actually does. :)
Philip

It works because the Vodafone Suresignal uses a VPN connection that has to connect using UDP on port 500.  The way to ensure this on the BT Home Hub 2 is to follow the advise posted and check the YES button next to the port clamping question. 

The BT Home Hub 2 says "Port clamping sets the Internet key exchange to UDP port 500, rather than allowing a floating port. This is sometimes required by older virtual private network (VPN) Clients."  

Awesome, didnt spot that setting on the hub!!

mine has had issues when i've got my work laptop on VPN at the same time as using the phone, assuming its a conflict for ports.... now its fixed, thanks!!

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi iany,

That’s brilliant! Thanks for letting us know! :Smiling:

Thanks,

Jenny