cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal - Does Sure Signal Data Count Against My Allowance?

mmillmor
Not applicable
When my phone is connected via suresignal, and I use the data connection, e.g. to watch YouTube, does that count against my data limit on my phone? Obviously it's me actually already paying for the data over my home broadband connection, so I'd hope that vodafone aren't double dipping and charging me again for the same data.

Martin
24 REPLIES 24

mmillmor
Not applicable
I see that in Japan, SoftBank are offering free ADSL and free femtocell rather than offering discounts on calls and data when using your femtocell;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/30/softbank_femto/

that's another business model that certainly compensates us for hosting part of the infrastructure.

Martin

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
TBH I don't have a problem with voda's current policy on the call side, tho the data may be another issue, as the SS is a Private connection,
wonder if there would be a market for a slightly more powerful unit that was open to the public if it was
a) free
and
b) the owner recieved credits against there bill for it being in operation

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

I aggree wholeheartedly.. the system should operate as the BT Fon system.. not only would it create incredible resiliance in the Voda system but would mean that home users would always have a good signal.. Probably some of the providers with weaker network penetration will take this up first as it coud be a game changer..

Also what about the data overhead if you are on a BT type Option 1 10 GB / month...!!

The Sure Signal uses about 400MB a month just to keep ticking over, before you make calls or use 3G data. Calls run at 64Kbps. An hour's call is around 30MB.  Data usage can get to be quite a bit, depending on your habits.

I bought a Sure Signal not realising that ALL 3G traffic (voice and data) is routed over the VPN to the Vodafone network.  Like others here, I thought that the Sure Signal would route internet data traffic onto the ISP connection rather than over the VPN.  I accepted that the telephone calls and messages would be chargeable as that does have to go over the Vodafone network, but not simple internet traffic?!

I would have thought that rather than clogging up the Vodafone network, Vodafone would be happy for the Sure Signal to route such packets over the regular ADSL instead of their VPN.  If I were more cynical, I would imagine the same as others who have posted here that it was just because it was more lucrative to use up a subscriber's data allowance.

I am not convinced about the argument for security as if the phone uses WiFi there is no protection for internet data.  

Indeed, many phones are now available with UMA.  This allows the phone to connect to a regular WiFi router for calls, texts and data without the need for a separate box like the Sure Signal.  It routes calls and messages via a VPN set up in the phone (rather than in the Sure Signal) and internet data traffic is simply sent as regular data traffic.  It seamlessly switches when you get in range of the WiFi router and doesn't drain battery any more than if you were in a poor signal area on 3G (it uses slightly more than if you are on GSM, but you get the high data rate of your home connection).  You don't have to remember to turn the the WiFi connection on and off.  It does use a bit of data, a few hundred MB a month, to maintain a connection.

I think I just talked myself into getting a UMA phone on Orange.  Time to use my PAC. 

ZeroHour
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi all,
I am a new voda customer and I was considering SS and this was a question I had (thanks for answering)
I can see the OP's point about it being their data used but also I can see VF's.
Think of it this way, any service which is only available on voda's data network (3g etc) would still require the secure connection to voda that you get while roaming which is one reason a vpn would still be needed rather then routing direct.
Also say you got free data on the SS, how can you be 100% sure your logged into the SS rather then another cell for example? I know in principle SS should be strongest but lets face it some parts of houses may be either/or due to walls etc. This could cause a customer to run up a HUGE bill (well not huge but you get the idea) when they expected to be free as there phone never informs the user which cell your connected too.
I presume the SS box decrypts the packets and routes them through rather then just feeding GSM encoded packets down the vpn?
I think a scheme where for example, you transfer 100mb using SS and voda would know this as its vpn routed, and the following month your given say a free 50mb of transfer over the network to compensate. That way your informed and dont need to care about where your data is connected to and it gives the customer something in return for reduced costs to VF.

Just a thought.

Tricky103
4: Newbie
I have just received a £130 bill, this is £100 over the top of my normal bill.. All because I have been connecting to WAP at home..

I can't grasp how vodafone can get away with charging the prices for me supplying them the broadband.. I have used 750mb of data and that has come off of my monthly allowance from Vodafone.. If I had limited broadband then that would also come off of the 40Gb allowance with my ISP.. There is noway on the face of this Earth that Vodafone can charge for something that they are not actually providing, and the fact that the Sure Signal box cost £150 when it was purchased. I need some come back soon please, I would like a credit to be put onto my account or remove the charge before it I pay it..
Tricky103

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I have just received a £130 bill, this is £100 over the top of my normal bill.. All because I have been connecting to WAP at home..

I can't grasp how vodafone can get away with charging the prices for me supplying them the broadband.. I have used 750mb of data and that has come off of my monthly allowance from Vodafone.. If I had limited broadband then that would also come off of the 40Gb allowance with my ISP.. There is noway on the face of this Earth that Vodafone can charge for something that they are not actually providing, and the fact that the Sure Signal box cost £150 when it was purchased. I need some come back soon please, I would like a credit to be put onto my account or remove the charge before it I pay it..

post removed by Ann. The explanation about data charges using Sure Signal is in the thread.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Tricky103

The Sure Signal does connect through your fixed broadband service, but all traffic, be that voice or data, is still routed through Vodafone servers, and is charged for accordingly.

The proportion of data you use through your phone is not proportional to the amount used by the Sure Signal. Your home connection is merely used as a VPN(Virtual Private network) to route to the normal route of a call or data usage. It merely replaces the mast, and the data still passes through the network in the normal fashion.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

Tricky103

Hi Tricky103

The Sure Signal does connect through your fixed broadband service, but all traffic, be that voice or data, is still routed through Vodafone servers, and is charged for accordingly.

The proportion of data you use through your phone is not proportional to the amount used by the Sure Signal. Your home connection is merely used as a VPN(Virtual Private network) to route to the normal route of a call or data usage. It merely replaces the mast, and the data still passes through the network in the normal fashion.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

I can't grasp that. I understand about a vpn creating a tunnel to the vodafone servers, but if I download google maps at 4.5mb (at home via sure signal) that gets charged to my wap but it must still get charged on my usage via my isp, as the connection for sure signal would not be using that bandwidth otherwise.

I think there should be a revision to your sure signal boxes, you should remove wap and replace it with wifi, then your customers who don't have wifi won't have to suffer the inflated data charges that I have received.
Tricky103

bodsham
Complete scam. Here is my post from a thread now closed - didn't realise this was here. Vodafone should write into their contracts, 'We reserve the right to do what the hell we like, when we like, and you can't do a damned thing about it but serve your time in the contract'.

bill. I have rarely used my Desire outside home this month. Because the Vodafone signal where I live is so poor I was forced to spend £160 buying Sure Signal. This data must have come through there.
Are you seriously telling me....
  • You will count as Vodafone chargable data that doesn't come from your network?
  • That I am to be penalised for your poor coverage and paying for trying to improve it through my own broadband connection?
  • That I should lose my broadband allowance twice - once from the broadband supplier (with good reason) and once from you, who haven't supplied a single bit of it?

Frankly. I'm amazed. Then I fly on a business trip to Italy and turn on my Desire. After three minutes I get a text saying I've used 3mb of data for'which I will be charged £3. Haven#t even received an email.

The 500mb limit wasn't in force when I took out this contract. You shouldn't count data that doesn't come through someone else's network. And, of course, when I took out this contract your roaming price in Italy was £5 per 25mb. Not £5 per 5mb.

How can you possibly treat customers this way and expect them to stay?

Let's get this clear. People pay for Sure Signal because the Vodafone coverage is poor. Otherwise they wouldn't bother. How you can hit them twice - by making them buy SureSignal to be able to use their phones, then for the data that comes through their own broadband line - is beyond me.

Indefensible. Makes me want to quit Vodafone this instant.