cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal - Is It Compatible With PPPoE Connections?

s4vva
4: Newbie
After a long time testing and reconfiguring several makes of routers I have come the conclusion that the Sure Signal is not compatible with PPPoE connections.

If anyone does have it working please post the details here (router manufacturer, ISP etc.) I would love someone to prove me wrong!

@Vodafone - Are there any plans for a firmware/device upgrade that does support PPPoE?
74 REPLIES 74

Brilliant, glad you got it working!  :smileyhappy:

D

OK so today [15/10/2014] moved up to FTTC with TalkTalk Business but retaining the Draytek 2820 so we have a fixed IP and three others I believe.

Model Name: Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version: 3.3.7.3_232201
Build Date/Time: Sep 13 2012 19:09:39

And of course we have a SS MK2 and now all the attendent issue reported in this thread with nothing really achieved for the last 10 hours. This thread does give hope though!  But what is the starting point to lead to success?

The VSS was working just fine before the upgrade, but of course we have moved over from PPoA to PPoE.

Well I understand how to Bind the MAC to IP address so that's a start. There's a pretty long description of what to do but much of it goes over my head. I have the ability to screen dump the configuration pages into a PDF document and post these online.

So as success to get the VSS working with PPoE seems achievable by the hard graft done by DonkeyDave, could I please have some help in breaking the task down in bite size chunks with screen dumps [at frequent intervals if necessary] of the configuration pages to visit. I start to loose the will to live in deciding whether you use Port Redirection or Open Ports to enter port numbers 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 and 1723 and the attachment shows what I have done so far.

And then there is the thorny issue of deciding what MTU to use. The 2820 have a maximum of 1492 - I have a gut feeling I should select 1400. Any thoughts on that one?

All help and advice gratefully received.

So what should I do next or is it a case of unpicking the work so far done and making the equivelent entries in Open Ports? 

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Ok, this should be fairly easy.

With the 2820 out of the box/back to defautls...

Unless you are using them as redundant links, disable WAN 1 and 3 (and 4 if it's there)

Plug the Openreach modem into WAN2 Ethernet.

Using PPPoE put your TT connection info in, and the MTU is set to maximum of 1492

Check you can connect to the internet ok with your computer.

Go to the VPN and Remote Access -> Remote Access Control menu

Untick all the services.

Reset the suresignal, and plug it into the router.

Give it an hour or two to download the config and settings after resetting it and all should be good.

No port forwarding or static IPs required (I have this setup with a 2860)

Thank you for your response, it is very much appreciated. Here is my feedback with a request for further advice.

1. With the 2820 out of the box/back to defaults...
    Ah, we have a live service on this router so tweaking will be necessary.
  2. Unless you are using them as redundant links, disable WAN 1 and 3 (and 4 if it's there) Online Status >> Physical Connection shows only WAN2 enabled. Online Status >> Virtual WAN shows WAN3, WAN4 and WAN5 enabled with no connections established. How do you disable these WANs?
  3. Plug the Openreach modem into WAN2 Ethernet. Done. Using PPPoE put your TT connection info in, and the MTU is set to maximum of 1492.
    On our 2820 the WAN >> Internet Access WAN2 page we can see that the following has been entered or selected:
    TTB Username
    TTB Password
    Mode = ARP Detect
    MTU = 1492
    Fixed IP = No [Despite having a fixed IP].
    Default MAC Address.
  4. Check you can connect to the internet ok with your computer
    Yes all is OK
  5. Go to the VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Access Control menu and untick everything.
    Currently on our 2820 we have just “Enable PPTP VPN Service” ticked. It is thought this is necessary because we have a user defined at VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Dial-in User.
    Is this the right assumption?
  6. Reset the suresignal, and plug it into the router. Since it is already connected to the router I shall disconnect the LAN on the Sure Signal Device and proceed as follows:
    1.         Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid.
    2.         Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in.
    3.         Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead.
    4.         Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button.
    5.         Re-connect the LAN lead.
    I hope that is right approach. Please advise.

7. Give it an hour or two to download the config and settings after resetting it and all should be good.
    Fingers crossed then!
  8. No port forwarding or static IPs required (I have this setup with a 2860) Well I don’t see that binding the MAC to the IP address should have any bearing on this issue but will delete the entry at LAN >> Bind IP to MAC if thought to be absolutely essential to do so. Likewise the entries of assigning ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 and 1723 to the Sure Signal IP address will be deleted if steps 1-7 above fail to bring the Sure Signal device online.

As you have got the Sure Signal Device working with an FTTC connection, but using a Draytek 2860, it might be prudent to swap out the router especially as the 2820vN is now obsolete. It looks as though that unit gives us the option of ditching the Openreach modem.

grolschuk

Not a problem.

1 - that is fine :Smiling: factory reset would have just made sure there were not lingering tweaks.

2 - Probably not needed, but you can turn them off in the WAN -> General Setup -> <WAN#> -> Enabled = No.

I don't know what the virtual WANs are, I don't have them on mine :Sad_face:

3 - That looks fine

4 - Good :Smiling:

5 - I wonder if this is causing some of the problem, the suresignal makes a VPN connection out to vodafone, could the router be thinking some of the traffic is for itself as vpn terminator and not passing it on... is there a window where the remote worker does not need access, and you can untick the PPTP service for testing purposes?

6 - If it's a SS 1 or 2 then yes, if it's a 3 no need to do the power removal part. Always a good idea to have the LAN unplugged.

7 - The factory reset would have removed all the bindings and mappings, this was just to say you wouldn't need to set them up again.

8 - If you swap out the router and ditch the openreach, the only thing to be mindful of when setting it up, is the VDSL connection settings need VLAN Tags enabled, and set to 101.