Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal Suddenly Stopped Working

Shetlandpony
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

My V1 VSS has suddenly stopped working.  Both my partner and I cannot get a signal.

The VSS is showing a single solid green light on the front, solid green and flashing orange on the back,

I have tried the reset and left for over 24 hours without success.  I have checked the ethernet cable is working correctly.  In the BT Home Hub manager, no devices are detected under 'Ethernet'.  There have been no changes to our router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards,

9 REPLIES 9

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Shetlandpony,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

DaveCD

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.  I followed the troubleshooting guide before I posted to the forum other than checking or changing MTU settings.  As stated in the original post, no changes were made to the network or router and the VSS had been working happily for over 18 months.

Here are the details you requested:

Speed test: Ping 70ms, Download 6.11Mbps Upload 0.31Mbps

Ping: Line quality B*, Ping 76ms Jitter 1ms

IP Address: 86.170.19.154

Sure Signal Serial No: 21231539665

Traceroute:

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 46 ms 45 ms 44 ms esr10.edinburgh6.broadband.bt.net [217.47.157.14
1]
3 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms 217.47.157.77
4 54 ms 54 ms 55 ms 213.1.69.158
5 55 ms 54 ms 54 ms 31.55.165.102
6 54 ms 56 ms 54 ms 31.55.165.67
7 54 ms 54 ms 54 ms 31.55.165.107
8 55 ms 54 ms 56 ms 109.159.250.48
9 66 ms 60 ms 62 ms 109.159.250.17
10 60 ms 61 ms 60 ms peer2-xe3-0-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.235]
11 61 ms 62 ms 62 ms t2c3-xe-0-1-3-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.16
8]
12 63 ms 67 ms 66 ms 166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]
13 * * * Request timed out.
(13 through to 30)
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Hi Shetlandpony,

If you haven’t done so already please check your ports by following the below:

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)

50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)

53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)

67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    

68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        

123 – UDP                    (All routers)     

500 – UDP                    (All routers)     

1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          

4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     

33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

BT Infinity Customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

I’ve also requested the latest firmware to be pushed through.

Please leave your Sure Signal switched on and don’t unplug it for at least 24 hours.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Gemma

Gemma,

UPnP is set up and enabled on the router.  I haven't made any changes on the router or network so do not understand why I would now have to manually ensure port forwarding.

The VSS worked without major issue for over 18 months and all of a sudden stopped.  Several other people have posted on the forum reporting very similar problems with their V1 VSSs at the same time.

All I can think of at the moment, is there is a recognised problem with BT Infinity customers and the suggestion to ensure Port Clamping.  I am not a BT Infinity customer, just BT Broadband.  Would Port Clamping need to be enabled in this case?

Kind regards,

Hi Shetlandpony,

I've responded to you here.

If you can post in just one place regarding the same issue it ensures your questions and our answers are in one place.

Thanks

Ian

Dave,

This is the only place I have posted looking for answers.  My replies on other posts simply let other forum users know I - and others - were experiencing a very similar fault to them.  It did have the benefit that when members of the Vodafone team replied to their posts, I was notified and could check to see if there had been any progress towards a solution.

I have not yet been able to check my VSS with another broadband connection.

However, a second green light has lit up on the front of the VSS, (Power and Internet Connection (@)?).  Could this be as a results of the recent firmware?  I still don't have a phone signal mind.  Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Hi Shetlandpony,

The Sure Signal connected this morning at 3:24. Have you got a connection now?

If not, I can see the upload speed is right at the edge of what the Sure Signal can work with. It's possible your internet service provider (ISP) has made some changes which have lowered this and caused the issue.

Try this amended reset. It resyncs the Sure Signal and should pick up any updates.

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Dave

Hello,

I have tried the amended reset without success.  

I have also tried the VSS at a different location.  The best result was solid green lights #1 and #2, flashing light #4.  I don't think my phone obtained a 3G signal during this time.

So frustrating...

gotnocars
1: Seeker

My signal also packed up after years of working fine - we now have to pay to make calls on our landline and take it in turns to use it.

I followed the rebooting advice from the website to no avail. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes going through it all again using the online chat. They claimed to have "done something" at their end which would help if I do a further reboot.

Their instructions did not go according to their description - instead of all my lights blinking (after 30 seconds of holding down the reset button) mine just went solid all 4 lights on.

I then rang tech services to report that the box is not doing what it should when rebooting - the guy then stated that it didn't have to blink - it just needed to "change" - and in his opinion the 4 lights steady constituted that "change".

So all I had to do was sit back for the next 6 hours and all would be fine again.

As I'm now on this forum you can assume that nothing has changed - I still cannot make or receive calls in my home.

Like the other customers on here I have done nothing to my PC - there has been no changes to my broadband service or the router - I am with Virgin - not BT.

I have zero interest in going through the kind of tests that others have gone through - this is clearly a fault at Vodafone or the sure signal box itself.

If vodafone can no longer provide me a service it would be illogical to continue to pay you - can this be sorted or do I need to investigate if other providers can get a signal to my home?