Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal not working on Virgin Media

RichardVincent
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Call logged with Vodafone support on 25 Apr 2014 but no response received

I have a VSS Version 1 on  Virgin Media with a Netgear DG8346 router.

It has worked in the past but now despite multiple resets during which it appears to be communicating via the newtwork and going through the expected LED sequences, it always eventually reverts to the single Power LED only status.

All ports are forwarded

Bandwidth is good, download 3.47Mbps, upload 0.67Mbps

Pingtest gives 49ms, Jitter of 16ms and no packet loss.

External IP is 86.31.2.23

However, tracert consistently fails. Typical example appended below.

Please can anyone who has had a similar experience explain to me what causes this and what can be done to overcome it?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Richard>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.0.1  

2    30 ms    27 ms    26 ms  brhm-bam-3.network.virginmedia.net [194.145.148.66]  

3    28 ms    27 ms    29 ms  brhm-core-2a-xe-1110-2.network.virginmedia.net [82.0.242.45]  

4    29 ms    29 ms    34 ms  nrth-bb-1c-ae10-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.73]  

5    29 ms    29 ms    29 ms  nrth-bb-2a-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.133]  

6    33 ms    43 ms    31 ms  popl-bb-2a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.70]  

7    30 ms    39 ms    31 ms  popl-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.94]  

8    38 ms    31 ms    31 ms  xe-1-0-0-xcr1.lsw.cw.net [166.63.211.129]  

9    31 ms    32 ms    31 ms  ae12-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.28.26]  

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure Signal now replaced and new one working fine.

Thanks,

Richard

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

The timeouts at the end of the tracert are normal.

The last hop is set not to respond to ping requests, but the rest of it speedwise looks ok.

Has anything changed in your setup from the time that it was working to now? A new router or change of internet plan for instance?

I know the Virgin Superhubs require VPN Passthrough enabling on them, I'm not sure if that is the same for the netgear... It could be worth looking around the security/firewall/vpn sections in the config to see if anything stands out.

If you have the serial number for the suresignal, once the staff get to your post (it could take a few hours) they will be able to check it on their systems and maybe do a reset of the device if required.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Serial number is 21228591380

And router is Netgear DG834G not DG8346 as stated in earlier message

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RichardVincent

Have you managed to try the suggestions provided by grolschuk? :Smiling:

It has been a few days since your Sure Signal connected with our servers. It may be an idea to try a reset.

VSS Factory Reset

* Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
* Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
* Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
* The VSS should come online within the hour

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi Sukhi,

I could not see how to set up a VPN connection without keys. I have enabled Ping response and done a full reset.

I'll let you know how it gets on. In the mean-time can you confirm that there is connection to your servers/

Thanks,

Richard

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RichardVincent

It's still showing that the last connection was made on the 27 April. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Sukhi

grolschuk

In case you were asking if the servers are online, rather than if the device was connected, the answer is yes they are.

There isn't a need to set up a VPN connection, the sure signal does that.

However as the router is VPN aware, it could be terminating some of the traffic destined for the suresignal, rather than passing it on.

That is what the VPN passthrough option is for - so the router knows it's not doing the VPN connection, but something else on the network is.

If you can find that to toggle on/off somewhere deep in the router setup pages, then reboot the suresignal, it may connect.

As I mentioned, on the VM Superhub, it's in Advanced -> Security -> Firewall, so that kind of area may be a good place to start on the netgear.

I have done a thorough search of all of the router pages and I can't find any reference to VPN passthrough. Is it possible that it is called somthing else?

In the mean time, I have reset the router and the VSS and left it running. I am getting all of the sequences as per the chart but it then just reverts back to one solid Power light.

grolschuk

I think BT hubs have a 'Port Clamping' reference that may or may not do the same thing. but can't think that would be on a Draytek.

I think this will be a case of letting the tech team carry on looking behind the scenes, maybe they can do something to kick/clear the settings so it can start again.

Light Sequence is as follows.

Power Steady

Power  Steady, Internet Slow Flashing

Power Steady Internet Solid,

Power Steady, Internet Solid, Service Flashing

Power Steady

Sometimes it repeats again from this point but always eventually reverts to just Power Steady