Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone UMTS/3G Booster

FadyMeshreky
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear Vodafone,

I'm wondring about how and where can I find Vodafone UMTS/3G Booster mintioned in the link below and how much is it?

My situation that I'm working as IT System Administrator for American Construction Company in Qatar. My site is in the middle of nowhere and I'm covered with Vodafone Qatar broadband. I can connect with 3.5G but not proberly, the signal comes up and down or drops to 2G connection. I checked with Vodafone Head Office they told me that they had such devices before but now it is not available any more and I should refere to Vodafone UK.

Vodafone UMTS/3G Booster Link

Please, help me with this or provide me with another possible solution.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely.

4 REPLIES 4

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi,

That is a good question, I've never seen such a device mentioned before, normally it is the suresignal 3g unit which connects to a broadband line, and that is around £100 including tax

The only thing i'd question is the 'Works only on Vodafone WCDMA' which may be as broad as the 2100MHz range, or it could be the sub frequency that vodafone use in the UK, and if that is different to your supplier it won't boost anything.

Hopefully one of the tech team can get in touch with the business portfolio guys to find out more for you.

If there is a location where the signal is always strong, you could maybe look at a mobile MiFi device to sit in one location, and then provide a wifi link to your handsets? VF Qatar may have those available to try?

grolschuk, I really thank you for your reply.
It is weird that vodafone not mentions any thing about pricing or how to order this kind of devices. I googled it but it is very rare as like as it is not exist.
As I know one of WCDMA (UMTS) frequencies is 2100 (3G) which available through Vodafone Qatar coverage which also I think it is a standard for Vodafone worldwide (I'm not sure). May someone from support team confirm on that.

Regarding the MiFi solution, Actually I have a more compicated situation here. I'm working with HP Proliant servers supported by Cisco 800 Series 3G routers. Not just handhelds which make it more difficult. I'm providing the internet, VoIP, Microsoft Exchange emails ..etc to about 50 users around the construction site which requires a fast and continous connection to the internet.

grolschuk

Wow that is a lot of kit to be hanging off the back of a mobile broadband connection or two :Smiling:

The fact that google also seems not to know about the device backs up me never seeing one... The web link suggests it is available to business customers here if they know about it, and know who to ask... the pricing would then be down to the type of business contract in place.

I'd have thought a Satelitte Broadband connection would have made more sense (if available) as the load on the mobile broadband side of things is going to be interesting even if you were in a high signal area.

The problem is with the frequencies, the 'band' is 2100MHz but in reality each of the mobile operaters get given a sub range of frequencies within the band to use for their traffic.

Making up some number here as I have no idea what they are... but if the device is designed to only listen on 2150-2180 which is the made up range VF could use here, and VF Qatar use 2090-2130 then it wouldn't work...

If they both happen to use the same sub band then it would be ok.

If the routers have an Ethernet WAN port along side the 3g the MiFi could again be viable having an access point as the Wan device.

Again, hopefully someone technical will be able to help tomorrow, but I have a feeling it is going to be down to finding a local ISP to provide a stronger internet connection, as they will know the layout of the country and what is available where.

Good Luck :Smiling:

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting.

Well that's certainly an unusual question.

I've done some digging around but haven't been able to find any information on it.

As we deal with consumer queries it's difficult to find any further information that may help.

If you do need anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Ian