Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone needs to put a Service Status up immediately

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper

I'm getting sick and tired of having to reset my Sure Signal and going through hoops in order to find out whether the Sure Signal Servers are active at Vodafone. 

The last couple of days have seen my Sure Signal simply drop off for no reason. I am able to surf the net and do everything else without trouble, but the SS simply does what it wants, when it wants. I have replaced its PSU with a much more solid one so I know it is not that which has gone. Sometimes the service magically restores itself after a few hours, but sometimes I have to wait until the following morning before trying the usual power off sequence. 

Whenever you phone the alleged Customer Support - you simply end up even more frustrated that you are when you get cut off for no reason other than their service. 

Apple and other provide a service status system on the web, why don't you Vodafone? At least we would have some idea of where a fault lies when we get cut off for no reason. 

Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.
13 REPLIES 13

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Landshark2007

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

I have a SureSignal 1 but I have the same issue in that it has stopped working over the past 2 days and I have lights 1 & 2 on solid but it cannot generate a 3G signal.

I had this issues some years back and Vodafone had to regegister my machine on their systems. Not sure if any config changes/servoer moves have been going on VF side but can I request that my box is reset.

As you can see below I can ping as far as Vodafone server but then it gets lost...

My Tech details are:-

SS Serial number:21197213008

Download Speed 50M +
Upload Speed 10M+

Pingtes 53ms, Jitter 15

Traceroute:-
traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 2.290 ms 1.857 ms 10.656 ms
2 * * *
3 31.55.187.172 (31.55.187.172) 11.803 ms 20.004 ms 19.888 ms
4 195.99.127.164 (195.99.127.164) 16.282 ms 16.519 ms
195.99.127.166 (195.99.127.166) 11.321 ms
5 195.99.127.3 (195.99.127.3) 11.712 ms 19.510 ms
195.99.127.10 (195.99.127.10) 19.440 ms
6 195.99.127.3 (195.99.127.3) 18.762 ms 20.184 ms
lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124) 27.950 ms
7 85.205.0.86 (85.205.0.86) 18.993 ms 19.295 ms 19.643 ms
8 * * 85.205.0.86 (85.205.0.86) 17.343 ms
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
The number of this IP address is 85.205.0.86. This IP address is registered in Germany. IP Country code is DE. IP address ISP is "Vodafone Group Services", organization is "Vodafone Group Services". IP address latitude is 51.0 and longitude is 9.0.

I also have all the ports forwarded on my router. 

Please can someone assist?

Thanks

@dreynolds10 Thanks for your information. 

You’ll need to speak to your ISP (internet service provider) and ask for them to give you a UK registered IP address. 

@dreynolds10

I think Laura has given you the wrong info regarding your IP address!

The IP address you have quoted ( 85.205.0.86)  as you say is the VF server address in Germany and is the correct destination for the traceroute as it won't get any further due to very stringent security.

I think Laura misread your post thinking it was your own public IP address, which is what she really requires. This can be obtained from here .... http://www.whatsmyip.net/

Regards.

Mike.

Hi Mike

My IP address is 86.184.187.4

As further information I have tried to de-register my Sure signal. leave for 24hrs then re-register but I still cannot get a 3G signal fromt he box (first two lights are on and flashes 4th light for a while then gives up).

Any clues? 

Thanks

cineriv
16: Advanced member

@dreynolds10 wrote:

Any clues? 

Thanks

Yes ........ Judging by your symptoms, I think your power supply has degraded and requires replacing.

Don't get mislead by the power light ...... that is a red herring. 

Replacement power supplies are readily available from Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 inc. delivery. 

So worth a try!

Regards,

Mike.

HI Mike

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, are you saying that even if the power has degraded from the transformer then its enough to light the power light (and 2nd light) but there is not enough juice for the 4th light ie to create a 3G signal?

Might be worth a try for £10 but in my experience electrical components either work or fail an when they fail the dont tend to fail progressively.

I dont have experience of SureSignals so I will give this a go but it would also be good if Vodafone could confirm whether they can ping my sureSignal from their end or check if there is anything obvious on their servers.

As you can see from the details above I can ping the Vodafone Gateway in Germany after that its a mystery what happens.

Cheers

Ian

cineriv

@dreynolds10 wrote:

HI Mike

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, are you saying that even if the power has degraded from the transformer then its enough to light the power light (and 2nd light) but there is not enough juice for the 4th light ie to create a 3G signal?

Yep ..... that is exactly what I am saying!

Might be worth a try for £10 but in my experience electrical components either work or fail an when they fail the dont tend to fail progressively.

No ... you are incorrect there. Electrolytic capacitors dry up with age, as it dries up the capacitance reduces and eventually the available D.C. current is so low it cannot provide sufficient current for SS to operate.

I dont have experience of SureSignals so I will give this a go but it would also be good if Vodafone could confirm whether they can ping my sureSignal from their end or check if there is anything obvious on their servers.

As you can see from the details above I can ping the Vodafone Gateway in Germany after that its a mystery what happens.

Don't forget that you are pinging from your computer ..... the  VF servers (85.205.xx.xx)  have very stringent security and will only allow Sure Signal data through. If the final servers (212.183.133.177 etc.) didn't work, nobody would have a connected Sure Signal.

I hope that helps,

Mike.

Thanks Mike

I have a PSU on order so will give that a try.

My point on the Servers was not that the server would be down completely but whether my SS is communicating internally (to Vodafone) and making a connection. Surely VF would be able to see if my SS and their Servers (gateways) are making the necessary "handshakes" ? But VF seem to be quiet in these forums unless asking you to post your traceroute info and/or apply Port Forwarding.

Anyway, lets see if the PSU works. If not then I will be back to square 1 and have been without SS for over 2 weeks :-<

Thanks again for the ideas.