cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What is the expected life of the Vodafone SureSignal 3?

lparn
2: Seeker

Hello, I can see lots of people whose SureSignal devices go dead after 2 years. I have had mine 2 and a half years and the device is completely dead. Power is still being supplied via the intergrated socket on the device,  but there are no lights on the unit itself and i am not getting a useable phone signal. I can see many comments/threads where Vodafone support staff are recommending that users buy a new device if the device is over 2 years old rather than repair. Mine is a Sure Signal 3 so i can't buy a new power supply and i can't find any information on replacing fuses. 
Does this mean that Vodafone exepct loyal customers to pay for a monthly contract, and on top of this pay £50 per year for a booster to be able to use the contract, because their coverage is so poor in some areas?

I woudl suggest that the SureSignal device is not fit for purpose if it only has a life of just over 2 years and Vodafone should not be badging and selling such a device.

I live in a town, not an isolated rural farm and other Mobile phone providers such as EE have a 4G signal here, with Vodafone i can't even get 3G. 

I have been a Vodafone customer for over 20 years but if this is the case i am moving to EE where i can get a signal! 

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lparn - All Vodafone Sure Signal devices come with a standard one year warranty.

Within this time if it becomes faulty, we’ll be able to take a look at this under the repair process.

If it is that when you take a look at the trouble shooting guide for the Sure Signal and this is still not working for you, and it’s over the one year old warranty, you’ll need to look at buying a new device.

Hello Laura, 

Thanks for your reply. 

My question was not "what is the warranty period:", but what is the "expected life" . On the forum other people are reporting that these devices are dying after 2 years. 

For examples a TV may have a 1 year warranty but the average expected life of a TV is a lot longer. If TVs were sold and there was a high incidence of a model only having say 2 years life, because the model failed after 2 years and had been designed not to be repairable, then trading standards would agree that the TV model in general was not "fit for purpose", despite the 1 year warranty. As people have the right to expect a TV to normally last longer than 2 years. 

With the SureSignal 3 - it has been designed to not be repairable, and Vodafone are not offering the repair option, only asking customers to pay another £100. I am unwilling to go out and spend another £100, if these devices really are only designed to last 2 years. 

Again please can Vodafone tell me what they believe is the life of these devices? 

Thank you. 

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Beyond what the warranty period is, I don't image that you will get any comment on this from Vodafone. 

PWIAC

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lparn

As is the case with all electronic devices, unfortunately faults can occur at any time. 

There isn't a specific life expectancy of a Sure Signal, as with any other device it could experience a fault during the warranty period or afterwards.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with yours. They're certainly not designed not to be repairable or to only last 2 years, it's just unfortunate that this has been your experience.

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable and power pack to rule these out as the fault?

ChazzD, 

The SureSignal 3 does not have a replaceable powerpack, although the previous version did.

I would love to try and get it repaired but previous Vodafone comments on this model on this forum are that they will only accept repair if under 2 years old. They have been designed as a sealed unit with screws that can't be opened with a normal screwdriver. I am not the only person on this forum that have found the units just go dead after 2 years. 
If there are options for repair please can you let me know who may be

willing to do this? Without the SureSignal i struggle to even receive a call, despite Vodafone showing on their coverage map stating "Outdoors and indoors - you should be able to make and receive calls and texts.". And 50% of the time if i can recieve the call it drops within 2 minutes. Therefore i have paid the premium of £100 to be able to use the contract i pay monthy for. But i would be mad to pay this every 2 years, when O2 have a strong signal within the house, and EE have working 4G here. Both of these are proven from people living/visting here not from website network maps. I am not asking for 3G just enough signal to receive calls, as Vodafone promise on their website. 

Therefore after more than 20 years with Vodafone i am going to have to make the effort and move to another network, unless someone at Vodafone can assist with the repair or replacement of the SureSignal. 
Thanks for any help you can give.  Lynn 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lparn

You can still request a repair on your Sure Signal device if it’s outside the 12 month warranty period, however there will be a charge for this service.

If our network map shows you should be able to get a signal indoors and outdoors you might want to try following the steps in our network troubleshooting guide, it may be help you to receive a service strong enough that you don't need your Sure Signal.  

cineriv

@lparn wrote:

The SureSignal 3 does not have a replaceable powerpack, although the previous version did.

Hi Lynn,

Your comment on the replaceable powerpack is probably the main difference between a V3 Sure Signal lasting only 2-3 years and a V1 and V2 lasting for much longer because the power unit is so easily replaced by the user.

Faulty power supplies are usually the biggest reason for a failure in most electronic devices and the Sure Signal is no exception to that rule.

I'm fortunate to have a V1 Sure signal and has ran continously for almost 6 years now with only one hiccup which was the failure of the power supply, so easily and cheaply fixed! 

I doubt very much if anyone will get much more than 3 - 4 years from a V3!

I think Vodafone will fix your V3 after 2 years , but the cost of doing this is almost as much as buying a new one.

I do wish that Vodafone would make warranty periods on Sure Signals a bit clearer ...... On this thread so far, 2 members of the Tech team have stated a 1 year warranty applies to the Sure Signal,  but ....https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Warranty-length-on-sure-signal-unit/m-p/1999603...  and  http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Protecting-your-device/Warranty/38948884/What-does-my-warranty-cover.h...    says differently.

Your reception problem should have been resolved by now with the introduction of wifi calling  ...  https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-products-services/Wifi-Calling/m-p/2412560#M1860    but alas that hasn't materialized as yet,:smileyfrustrated:

Regards.

Mike.

hiddenhare

My suresignal version 3 also went pop this week, I guess it is also the same age, about 2 years old.

I have managed to get inside and the top has blown apart on the ac/dc convertor chip.

I have changed that but the T type 2a fuse has gone and not sure if thats readily available.

I guess a capacitor is drying out inside which takes 2 years with the result of it self destructing !

cineriv

@hiddenhare wrote:

My suresignal version 3 also went pop this week, I guess it is also the same age, about 2 years old.

I have managed to get inside and the top has blown apart on the ac/dc convertor chip.

I have changed that but the T type 2a fuse has gone and not sure if thats readily available.

I guess a capacitor is drying out inside which takes 2 years with the result of it self destructing !

Sounds like it's done a  fair bit of damage, the problem is how much damage did it do to the more delicate components of the Sure Signal before the fuse blew!

If the fuse is 20m/m in length, it's a standard fuse readibly available from Maplins or Ebay.

The T stands for time or time delay which allows the fuse to continue running for a short determined time before it blows. Also referred to as A/S ( Anti surge).

Sounds like a full rebuild of the power supply section at least!

Don't forget, if it's under 2 years old it's still under warranty, but only if the seals are intact.

Regards,

Mike.