cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Which router works first time with Sure Signal V3?

Youngie
4: Newbie

I have just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S3, only to find that my very poor Vodafone reception is even more unreliable. As I use this phone for work, i need to be confident that i can receive calls at home so bought the latest Sure Signal v3.

I couldn't get the Sure Signal to work, so spoke to Vodafone technical support who emailed me the configuration.

I tried to configure this with Belkin F7D2401 v1 and gave up. So bought a Netgear router N600 (DGND3700). After 20 emails between Netgear and myself, I got upgraded to a phonecall and after 2 hours last night following the Vodafone instructions with them, we gave up. I read a lot of the messages on this forum last night and decided that the Netgear router is going back to the shop today and the Belkin router is plugged back in.

I decided to try one more time with the Belkin router and their support team told me to get BT Broadband to supply a static IP for the VSS to use. BT have now confirmed that they do not provide static IP addresses for residential addresses.

So where do i go now? Can anyone recommend a router that i can purchase that is up to date will give good wifi coverage in the house and will just accept the Vodafone Sure Signal without any configuration?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BT Home Hub 3 appears to be the solution - set up first time with Sure Signal with no configuration required to ports etc. Managed to get one heavily discounted from BT......hooray!

However now my phone and Sim card are playing up and won't connect to Sure Signal nor Vodafone network :smileysad:

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

Youngie

Someone in another thread suggested putting the SureSignal in the DMZ so that it's outside your network. However, I saw in another post about the Belkin on another forum that it ignores the DMZ setting unless the firewall is active.

I'm not an expert on networks, but it may be another direction for you to try. I found a Belkin manual online but it didn't have details on setting up the DMZ - it was a very basic document. So I can't help you in that direction I'm afraid.

Hi Muirwoods,

Yes i saw the thread about putting the VSS in DMZ...but once again this falls way outside of my knowledge base and i don't know if i am leaving my setup exposed. But i will check out the Draytek and see if i can get the VSS up and running somehow!

Thanks, Youngie

Youngie

Being outside the DMZ only affects the VSS, and since it doesn't connect with anything else on your network there shouldn't be any problem with security. It seems to just be a case of entering the last numbers of the ip address assigned to the VSS and ticking the Enable checkbox. It might be worth giving it a try. However, I've also been reading a long thread from a real expert here and Allegoricus, who seems to have a very high level of experience with routers, is suggesting that the script in the VSS is faulty and that some routers will not connect because of it.

But am I right in thinking that if the VSS is still on a dynamic address, the IP numbers put outside DMZ will be redundant as soon as the IP address for the VSS changes?

I think that was the same thread that i read last night when i decided to give up on the Netgear 3700v2 as they are discussing the same and with far greater knowledge, but don't have a solution yet......

Thanks for finding that Nabs. Yes that 1st image is basically the same as i am looking at. At least it saves me a lot of pain trying to configure this Belkin router.

The Netgear went back this morning - a good router, but from what i found on discussions being updated this week, is that it needed more than simple configuration, and there was a work around rather than a fix solution for it in order for it to work with VSS. I knew i wouldn't be able to get to that point so figured it would be easy to find a router that 'just works' or needs very little configuration.

Do you know what model that Belkin is in the second screenshot? I am relatively comfortable with the Belkin setup now, so it may make sense to get another Belkin, if i can't find a plug n play. Although the Draytek looks promising.

Thanks for your time and help.

Youngie

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The model in the screenshot was an old F5Dxxxx (can't find the full model number) I think the equivelent model now would be the F9J1105uk (just a guess, don't quote me on that)

Just another thought,  I'm wondering if the belkin is automatically creating an address reservation for you when you setup a port forward(virtual server as they call it)

In your DHCP client list there should be an entry for the Sure Signal (you can match up the MAC address, there should be a sticker on the SS box, or on the device it'self with it written on)?

Take a note of this IP address, and follow the port forwarding guide (original link) and when it asks for the address enter the one shown in the DHCP client list.

I've never come across a router working this way so it's a long shot but one that may work.

The Draytek is a great bit of kit but very pricey. We use one in the office I work at, best part of £250 when we got it, think it's dropped a bit now but still considerably more than a lot of other routers out there.

Nabs

Nabs,

I tried your suggestion, but as soon as i updated my port settings to match the current IP address allocated to the VSS, the router changed the VSS IP address 2x. (I think it did this out of spite as it has been the same IP address all day until that point!)

BTW you are right about the price of the Draytek! Back to the drawing board to find an affordable router that meets all requirements - there must be one out there somewhere!

BT Home Hub 3 appears to be the solution - set up first time with Sure Signal with no configuration required to ports etc. Managed to get one heavily discounted from BT......hooray!

However now my phone and Sim card are playing up and won't connect to Sure Signal nor Vodafone network :smileysad:

I have hit the same issue with a SureSignal v2 and Netgear DGND3700v2. It had been working well with this router (and no forwarders) for 18months until I needed to hit the reset button. And then dead with two flashing lights for 4 days. Phoned Vodafone SureSignal support team and didnt get much luck from them either. All the same sugestions about static IPs (which luckily I already have from a long time ago...) And something about MTU not being 1500 too.

Eventually I plugged it in at a neighbours house in a talktalk router with no extra configuration and it set itself up within 1 hour.

Back home again and everything is now working fine as it always used to do.

There is something about the initial setup of this SureSignal device that just does not work with the Netgear router. After that initial setup, nothing else is required.