Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi not available on iPhone 4s after setting up Sure Signal

dawsonclan
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We have recently set up Sure Signal at home and since doing so I cannot access Wifi on my iPhone 4s (husband's iPhone 5 does not have a problem).

The Wifi option in Settings is greyed out so I cannot switch it on never mind connect to our wifi connection.

I have tried to switch off the 3G roaming option so the phone does not pick up the Sure Signal connection and this makes no difference even after switching off the phone and switching on again.

I have restored the phone to original settings and during the initial set-up it recognises our home wifi signal and I input the password with no problem. It then drops the signal almost immediately and I'm back to square one.

I remember reading something about changing the band or something that the wifi is on to avoid conflicts with the Sure Signal but cannot find that info anywhere now and even if I did I would not know how to go about it.

Its driving me absolutely mad - can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7

Myrm
16: Advanced member

Have you tried this: Sure Signal Troubleshooting

Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD

I have thanks - the Sure Signal is working fine and the help section does not appear to have anything to do with mobiles not having wifi connection.

Myrm
KK. Sorry.
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dawsonclan,

The Sure Signal shouldn't interfere with Wi-Fi networks, as proven by your husband's iPhone 5 working normally. I'm an iPhone/Sure Signal user myself and I've never seen anything like this happening.

As such, I'm going to need to throw a few things at the wall to see what sticks, as it were.

Exactly which option on the iPhone is greyed out? Is it in the Settings or the Settings > Wi-Fi screen?

Are you able to access Wi-Fi again on any other networks or if you de-register your number from the Sure Signal?

If you hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, does the option re-appear? Is it only temporary like the factory restore you described?

As I've never seen this before, changing the band on the router is worth trying out at this point to see if it gives us a clue. In the router settings, you'd see a reference to the "band" or "Channel". Unfortunately we don't have directions on how to amend these due to the range of routers available, but either the user manual or the manufacturer's website should have instructions.

Can you also post the Sure Signal reference number for reference?

Dave

Hi Dave,

De-registered from the Sure Signal and hooray  - the Wifi is no longer greyed out and I can access our wifi account. Thanks for that suggestion as when I spoke to Customer Services they said that there is obvioulsy a fault with the phone and as its out of its one year warrenty I'd have to pay £150 to get it replaced. So at least I know I can indeed access the WiFi and it is somehow linked to Sure Signal.
(In answer to your question though - yes the greyed out Wifi thing was when I went into Settings > Wifi so I had absolutely no way of connecting to a wifi network)
I have powered the phone down and switched it back on to ensure Wifi works automatically and it does.

Now just back to the original problem of needing signal hence why we bought the SS in the first place. 

By Sure Signal reference do you mean the serial number? If so it is 40131556561. If that's not what you need where do I find the reference?

Hi Again Dave,

I spoke too soon - wifi signal dropped and when I go into Settings > Wifi its greyed out again. Oh no!!! Just switched off phone and it makes no difference on switching on again. Phone fault I guess???

Hi dawsonclan,

This has proved that it’s the phone and not the Sure Signal.

As this could just be a software problem.

Can you connect the phone to iTunes to check for any software updates and complete them if there’s any available?

James