cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Will Sure Signal use my mobile data allowance?

streetshineuk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there, new user to the forum, looking at getting a new phone and vodafone's sure signal device. I am looking at getting an iphone 4s contract with 500mb of data, along with a sure signal as where I live signal is hard to come by unless you go outside in the cold! My only worry/wonder is if sure signal will use my mobile data allowance to make calls and texts? I would use my wifi for surfing the web, and only use the sure signal to make/receive calls and send/receive texts. Can I be connected to my normal wifi and be surfing the internet whilst still having signal to receive calls and texts?

I hope this makes sense, i thought it better to sound like a plank than rack up a huge phone bill!

Cheers!

12 REPLIES 12

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If you are using WiFi, you will be connecting through your home broadband connection.  Its only when you are using contract internet or WAP when you will be making a connection through the network and use your data allowance.

There would be no reason why you would be unable to make and receive calls and send and receive texts if you were using your home broadband at the same time.

Hello thankyou very much for the quick reply! So when I switch my iphone on and SS is on, my phone will sit there with signal, and any calls/texts I make will only come off of my minutes and texts?

Hi streetshineuk

Thanks for your post here. That is correct, when using the Vodafone Sure Signal all of your calls and texts will be used as if you were connecting to the Vodafone network anywhere else in the country.

Thanks

Wayne

Why? Surely if you are connected to SS then isn't the bandwidth being used your ISP's and not Vodafone's network?

philip42h
16: Advanced member

Data traffic via the SS uses both your ISP's data allowance - to get from the SS to VF - and  your VF mobile data allowance as it then traverses the VF network to get to the ultimate destination.

It's both 'cheaper' and more efficient to use wifi at home for data if you can to bypass the VF component entirely ...

Philip

Thanks. Understood.

Can we just reconfim this.

If you are connected to the internet via sure signal it does use your allowance!

Also if the signal is more powerful than your wifi at the time it will also use sure signal.

and no VF its not a solution to have to keep switching off mobile data!

VF fail to make this clear and its really upsetting getting huge bills when sure signal there solution to crap coverage after 4g upgrades.

You should publicise this fact and make sure that when customer service give you sure signal as a solution its made clear.......you will pay for data over your own network due to VF having an APN!!!!.

Is there any one else out there who are trying to figure why your bills are so high?

After upsetting my daughter accusing her of running up the bills I have just discovered this.

I am awaiting VF cuistomer response before going to national press.  Cusotmer services say you wont use your allowance....but you do!!!!

If my phone is using Sure Signal for calls and texts, will I still be able to connect to my broadband provider's wireless so I do not use my Voda data allowance will browsing the net? Thanks.

philip42h

@CSH37 wrote:

If my phone is using Sure Signal for calls and texts, will I still be able to connect to my broadband provider's wireless so I do not use my Voda data allowance will browsing the net? Thanks.

Yes. Your 'phone should use a wifi connection, when available, in preference to 3G for all data transfers, and only use 3G for calls and texts ...

Philip