Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Will VSS work with radio-based broadband

wayne_m
1: Seeker

This is my first post, so go easy.

I live in a rural area with poor Vodafone signal and slow (max 1.5Mbps) fixed-line broadband. A recent initiative means that I should be able to switch broadband provider to one that offers a radio-based product with up to 25Mbps synchronous (i.e. SDSL) speeds rather than the usual asynchronous (ASDL).

I was looking to get a VSS unit BUT the wording on the VF site specifically states a "fixed-line broadband connection" is required. Does the VSS really not work with any other type of broadband?

Regards

Wayne

4 REPLIES 4

john32
13: Advanced Member

Hello Wayne

My understanding is that latency is on of the key factors to the VSS operation and this is generally greater with radio services.

I have tried the VSS with 3G Broadband and a WiFi based system and it would not work with either - even though the bandwidth provided was OK.

John

Good luck

John

John,

Many thanks for the reply. Bit of a bummer though. I was hoping for (relatively) great broadband and great mobile reception. Looks like I'll have to suffer the inadequacies of the Vodafone network for the forseeable. Still, that's £50 I didn't waste. Thanks.

Regards

Wayne

Some people ask about SS and satelite broadband, which has huge latency.  But a terrestrial radio based broadband might have latency that's good enough.

What results do you get from speedtest.net ?  In particular, for latency ?

Smudger444
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Dear wayne_m

I read your thread with interest, I have a similar problem in that we only get 1.1mbs, but this is with TalkTalk and the broadband is ADSL +2, The Voda SureSignal does work on this speed/type broadband, we have three mobiles on our Voda SureSignal v2.

We use Satellite broadband for files and downloads, but the latency is very long. The 1.1mbs TalkTalk landline/broadband is fine for homework, Voda SureSignal and surfing, And the TalkTalk broadband/phone is reasonably priced.

So it might be worth investigating, if your exchange can support TalkTalk ADSL+2 and have a word with TalkTalk with the effect of supplying this type of Broadband, let it settle, then connect your SureSignal.

If you happen to be with BT, then your broadband speed could double if you can get the above type of broadband.

Hope this helps, it took me ages.

Smudger444