Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Would like to say thank you!

Catty
4: Newbie

I had been having trouble getting my old SS to re connect as for some reason it had suddenly, out of the blue, stopped working, and it was flashing all kinds of sequences of lights, the main one being that the power light was on while the others were off or flashing. I trawled through lots of threads on this Forum to find out why. I tried various things that were suggested and eventually found, hidden deep in a thread, some advice which sounded feasible. I can't find the thread now but I would like to thank whoever posted the advice about trying a new power supply, even if the power lights are on, from the bottom of my heart, as that person has saved me from throwing the thing out of the window in despair, and saved me about £100, the cost of a new SS I believe. I bought a new power supply, plugged it in and I didn't even have to re set the SS - it just worked again straight away! Magic. I hope whoever discovered that that could be the problem reads this as I have no idea who to credit for the advice, and I hope this post will help other people with failing elderly Sure Signals. I also hope you will allow me to post this as a thank you! Thank you! :smileyhappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi Catty,

That is a clever piece of detective work! ..... yep , that is me again trying to spread the word suggesting everyone with a V1 & V2 Sure signal should have a spare power supply!! :smileyvery-happy:

The good thing about that particular unit is that although it is rated at 1.5 Amp, according to the label it is actually a 2 Amp version, which is even better as it has more capacity to deal with the aging effect and is running with less stressand hopefully a bit cooler.

The Sure Signal requires approx. 1.2 Amps when running correctly, so not much leeway with  the 1.5 Amp version.

Saying that, 4 or 5 years of fairly continuous use isn't bad really! :smileyindifferent:

The real problem is diagnosing the problem in the first place as the power light is the only light that appears to be working correctly ( as you now know!! :smileysurprised:).  A Red Herring if there ever was! :smileyfrustrated: 

Once again, thank you for your appreciation :smileywink:

Regards,

Mike.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

cineriv

Hi Catty,

In the last couple of months, I have posted to people who may have a power supply problem virtually every day in the hope that  (1)  it would hopefully solve their problem by changing their power supply and saving them £100   (2) Spread the word to people like yourself who take the trouble to read these threads to try and diagnose the problem for themselves.

If you check out my profile, you'll see I'm not exaggerating.

I would like to think it was one of my posts that you read, but if it was I feel very pleased that it worked for you.

Could this have been the thread you have lost? ..... http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

I'm not going to take the credit, but as you say your post hopefully will help someone else.

Finally, a thanks from me for taking the trouble to post this. :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike, I don't recognise your thread as the one I had been reading but it may well be that the person whose comment within the thread that I did read had already come across your advice and had acted upon it and found it worked and passed it on themselves. That person mentioned buying the new power supply from a certain well known and well used online shopping site, for around a tenner, (inc p&p in some cases), which is what I ended up doing and I also saw a review on there by someone who had also been reading through this Forum (maybe even the same person whose comment I had read?!) and recommended that particular power supply. So I imagine that people have read your advice and are now acting upon it and spreading the word, maybe!  What I can't believe is, that Vodafone are still trotting out their stock answer, and as far as I can see, not even mentioning about trying a completely new power unit if the SS is one of the older ones. It is so much simpler to fit a new power supply first and see if that works, particularly on the oldest SSs like mine! Long may the new power supply work, and if you were the original founder of this solution, then thank you again! :catvery-happy::catwink:

ETA: Mike, just been back on where I bought the power supply unit from - the person who recommended it has 'riv' at the end of his/her user name - as indeed you do on here - are you one and the same?! If so, double thanks to you! :catlol:

cineriv

Hi Catty,

That is a clever piece of detective work! ..... yep , that is me again trying to spread the word suggesting everyone with a V1 & V2 Sure signal should have a spare power supply!! :smileyvery-happy:

The good thing about that particular unit is that although it is rated at 1.5 Amp, according to the label it is actually a 2 Amp version, which is even better as it has more capacity to deal with the aging effect and is running with less stressand hopefully a bit cooler.

The Sure Signal requires approx. 1.2 Amps when running correctly, so not much leeway with  the 1.5 Amp version.

Saying that, 4 or 5 years of fairly continuous use isn't bad really! :smileyindifferent:

The real problem is diagnosing the problem in the first place as the power light is the only light that appears to be working correctly ( as you now know!! :smileysurprised:).  A Red Herring if there ever was! :smileyfrustrated: 

Once again, thank you for your appreciation :smileywink:

Regards,

Mike.

Let's hope other people will read and benefit from this discussion too!  (I am just relieved it was such a simple fix, and will apply my new found knowledge to other things such as my wildlife cameras as maybe when I think they have failed it is not the camera at all, but the power supply, as they are plugged in all day every day so get a lot of continual use like the Sure Signal does.)  Keep up the good work, anyway, and thanks for sharing your knowledge on here.

Catty.

I'm rather unsure and somewhat confused as to this posting process but I very much want to acknowledge the team in the Haverfordwest store today. Sian, Robynne and Jamie. for someone like me who is (ahem) techniacally challenged you were so very helpful today. abso;lutrly excellent customer service.

Keep these people, your customers will keep coming back!

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ladygaugau This is lovely to hear thanks for taking the time to let us know 😊 

I've passed your feedback onto the store manager, who'll be sure to pass it on.

foxyloxley
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have got a smart phone after years on my stone age model. Went and got some help in transferring data from one to the other at NORWICH Castle Mall branch. The young fellow also showed me how to make a phone call. I was delighted with the service this branch provided...... he even told me where to get a cover for it as the accessories instore didn't fit. I didn't get his name but he wore a vodaphone shirt and was working on the nearest pod to the doorway. Thanks again Vodaphone for such excellent customer service. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@foxyloxley - Thanks for the lovely feedback!

I’ve emailed the store and the store manager to pass this on. :Smiling: