cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network.

KeithB
2: Seeker

I have a working (mostly) V.1 Sure Signal Serial number 21221067529.  It works fine most of the time but doesn't like the frequent power cuts we have in rural South Wales. Following a power cut the box sometimes reconnects without problems, sometimes requires a reboot but occasionally just refuses to allow calls.  I know my phone is working correctly, I believe the Sure Signal is connected to your network as my phone identifies the Vodafone network as available but when I try to connect my phone gives me the message "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network"

I've searched the forum for this issue but the only references I can turn up are in relation to phones and not Sure Signal boxes.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

12 REPLIES 12

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

KeithB

Information as requested.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3764190324.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/106358197.png

IP Address is 92.28.48.230

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 212.183.133.177 Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.1

2   17 ms 19 ms 18 ms host-92-28-48-1.as13285.net [92.28.48.1]

3   21 ms 17 ms 19 ms host-78-151-225-59.static.as13285.net [78.151.225.59]

4   18 ms 19 ms 20 ms host-78-151-225-50.static.as13285.net [78.151.225.50]

5   26 ms 26 ms 24 ms host-78-144-11-81.as13285.net [78.144.11.81]

6   25 ms 23 ms 33 ms host-78-144-10-128.as13285.net [78.144.10.128]

7   25 ms 27 ms 27 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

8   27 ms 26 ms 30 ms 85.205.0.93

9   * * * Request timed out.

10  * * * Request timed out.

11 ^C C:\Windows\system32>

V.1 Sure Signal Serial number 21221067529

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi KeithB, 

Your download speed is too slow for the Sure Signal to work. 

Ideally, we'd like to see at least 2.13Mbps on a version one Sure Signal. Your internet service provider should be able to help further. 

Thanks, 

Kay

KeithB

Hi Kay

Don't understand your reply.

My Sure Signal has been working since 2010 on this same internet connection which has always been a 1meg/0.25meg speed. I would love a faster internet but BT and my ISP tell me that this is as fast as it gets where I live.  Have Vodafone changed the requirements?

Had yet another power cut today and a message to tell me that I have moved my Sure Signal box.  Is there any way of informing your system that I haven't moved in the last 15 years and the Sure Signal box hasn't moved in the last 4 years.  What changes is the IP number allocated by my ISP.  This changes every time we have a power cut (about twice a week currently) or when I reboot my router to try and get it to connect to Vodafone.  Most ISP's allocate a new IP number each time you connect to their network, very few offer a fixed IP number to non commercial customers.  No other internet enabled equipment I own has any problem in dealing with these changes to the allocated IP number so why does Vodafone?

I haven't had a working signal in the house for over 3 weeks now and I'm getting too old to hang out of bedroom windows to make calls.  Any help in restoring my connection would be very welcome.

Just a further thought.  How does your system know that I have moved the Sure Signal box if I'm not connected and can't make/receive calls?

regards

Keith

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Keith,

The minimum requirements for the internet speeds have always been the same. If you're susceptible to power cuts, this will prompt the moved message. 

The reason the Sure Signal uses your ISP information ties in to the femto security and how it ties in to your UK licence agreement.

I'm afraid we'll be unable to support the service if the broadband speeds or bandwidth can't be improved.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben

You are the third person to reply on this thread without answering any of my questions.

I am finding it very difficult to have any sort of meaningful dialogue when limited to one message per day.

If you no longer want my custom you will need to say so more explicitly.

My issues are:-

1. My internet connection has always been at the current speeds. I have used the Suresignal box successfully for four years. Why is my internet speed suddenly an issue?

2. Where I live has always been subject to power outs and power cuts. In the past the Suresignal box has always reconnected. Sometimes this happens within the hour, sometimes it has taken days but on this occasion it has been over three weeks. Why?

3. You said "The reason the Sure Signal uses your ISP information ties in to the femto security and how it ties in to your UK licence agreement" I have no idea what that means. I understood that the location information was to enable the Emergency Services to know my location in the event of a 999 call and had nothing to do with the ability of my Femtocell to reconnect to Vodafones network. I also have no knowledge of 'my' UK licence agreement. Can you tell me where to find it so I can read it and perhaps better understand the issue?

4. I live in a stone built house with one metre thick walls and no chance of a vodafone signal indoors. This is why I have the Suresignal Femtocell. When I switch my phone on in the house it searches for a signal and identifies the Vodafone network. When I tell it to connect I get the message "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" If I'm not connected why do I get this message? Why is a Vodafone Simcard not allowed on Vodafones network? It works everywhere else.

I look forward to your answers.

regards

Keith

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi KeithB, 

Firstly, I've noticed your currently running on a previous Sure Signal software, so I've requested for this to be updated for you. 

You can find full information regarding your Sure Signal requirements here.

This will also reconfirm what Kay and Ben have previously advised you on your speed test, which you'll need to speak with your provider.

Thanks, 

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks for not answering any of my questions.

The link you provided is for the Suresignal v.3.  The requirements for my v.1. were 1 Mbps.  Has this now changed?

At the risk of asking another question to go unanswered, how can you download software to my Suresignal if it isn't connected to the Vodafone network? and, if I am connected, why do I get the "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" message?

regards

Keith

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi KeithB,

As the Sure Signal is activate, we’re able to update the software.

This has been done and you’ll need to leave the Sure Signal for 24 hours, so this can fully update.

After this, please re boot any phones which will use the Sure Signal.

The requirement is at least 1.5Mbps for a connection.

Many Thanks,

Sarah