Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Re: HTC One X and Sure Signal - Has it been fixed?

Hey guys,

I have today forwarded more details for our devices teams to test this for you.

We now have an affected handset to test and will update as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Lee

Message 101 of 115 (12,362 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
herschelvf

21/06/12

Hey guys,

I have today forwarded more details for our devices teams to test this for you.

We now have an affected handset to test and will update as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Lee

Great news Lee.  If it takes you two months to get an affected handset, I guess we should get a solution by Christmas?

Message 102 of 115 (12,127 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there herschelvf,

Thanks for your comments.

I'll get this one chased up for you and provide an update as soon as I can.

Regards,

Lee

Message 103 of 115 (12,064 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

[ Edited ]

Vodafone can i just say what a complete shambles this has been not for you as a business but also for customer satisfaction.

I myself are one of the unfortunate ones to have ordered an HTC ONE X without having read these reports. I stumbled upon difficulties within the first day of my new 12 month deal through Phones 4 u as your shop was way off the mark for price, and have since returned the handset. On doing so i called yourselves to point out my anger that you are still selling this handset to customers knowing full well that it is not compatible with the sure signal box can you explain to me please why this is still the case????? I have been with Vodafone for years but will be moving my business elsewhere please reply back but not with the usual we are looking at it because basically that is just not good enough.:manfrustrated:

Message 104 of 115 (11,915 Views)
spinnin

Re: htc ons s will not connect to sure signal

Any updates? This is taking forever!

Message 105 of 115 (11,695 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your posts.:smileyhappy:

I understand that this has caused you frustration and I have requested an update regarding this.

As soon as we receive any information we will post back here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 106 of 115 (11,648 Views)
JezV

I'd like to add my voice to this thread too. My HTC One X will only connect to the VSS if I force it to WCDMA mode. If I leave it on auto then the phone shows a 5 bar signal but the quality of the connection is awful and the call light doesn't illuminate on the VSS. Hope you can fix soon
Message 107 of 115 (11,637 Views)
JezV

Possible fix for HTC One X

I came across this thread on xda-developers forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1613521&page=22. Seems there is a general problem with the one x switching between 2g and 3G signals, not just with the VSS. One suggested solution was to disable the fast boot option of the phone, then reboot. I've done this and initial impression is that I have a stronger 2g signal outdoors than before and when I returned indoors the phone appears to have switched back to the VSS 3G signal, which it didn't do before. I haven't tested this extensively but initial impression is hopeful. This is with the phone set to GSM/WCDMA auto. Even if not it is encouraging that there is a known radio issue, so the chance of a software fix is good.
Message 108 of 115 (11,544 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
herschelvf

Re: Possible fix for HTC One X

I still think VF won't get this fixed by Christmas.

(2012)

There's a growing thread on the HTC section. Lots of annoyed Sure Signal users there too.
Message 109 of 115 (11,507 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Onzadog

Not a happy bunny.  Just upgraded mine and the wife's Desire to One S.  Signl is poor where we live so we got the Sure Signal to go with the Desires and it worked a treat.

If this is a known problem I have two questions: -

Why were the sales team not aware of the issue when they sorted us out with the One S?

Why, when I've called 191 with a problem, did they tell me they're "refresh" the Sure Signal from their end and sort things out?

Both phones hook up to the Sure Signal anf show 5 bars and H...until you actually try to make or recieve a call.  At whicvh point, it may or may not drop out and you may or may not be able to make a call.

Message 110 of 115 (10,368 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi everyone

Thank you for your posts and I am sad to see the frustration that this is causing.:smileysad:

We currently have a statement here from Tom our Community Manager, as soon as we have any further developments we will post back here to let you know.

Many Thanks

DaveCD
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 111 of 115 (10,318 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
boe32

All i can say is your one series phones must be flawed in some way, like i said before on other threads, i have 2 htc onex handsets. one is a vodafone branded 1.29.161 version firmware(whers the update?) and an ubranded 2.17.401.2version firmware, they both perform very similar in regards to signal, i can leave both on auto with fastboot enabled, they connect, stay connected, connect after a few seconds after being outside,  i choose to switch both handsets to wcdma only because the data icon dissapears when making calls if its in wcdma/gsm auto mode, this happens with or without the vss, and im sure its the same for most phones from what i can gather, its to save battery power during calls i think, but having wcdma only, seems to stop it.

Message 112 of 115 (10,312 Views)
boe32

This turning off the wifi stuff, ive never had to do this either, am i the only one in this country with 2 fully working htc onex handsets?

Message 113 of 115 (10,301 Views)
chalky

I am yet another very disguntled vodafone business customer. I hope by making this post, some of the testing I have been asked to undertake may throw some light on this issue and expedite a fix.

Firstly, my grievance:

I had an unrelated problem with an HTC Desire S locking up and rebooting. We have also had some issues with a SureSignal (SS) at work, whilst my SS at home works flawlessly. After several letters of formal complaint, Vodafone elected to offer me a new handset, that of an HTC One S and a new SS.

Since having the One S I have issues with dropped calls with my SS both at work and at home. Both locations have very poor vodafone coverage indicating 1-2 bars on the phone. Without the SS, calls can sometimes be made, but are often cut off.

I have had this issue for over 3 weeks and worked with vodafone initially focussing on a the problem being with the SS. I was horrified to find on the forum that the issues are well known to Vodafone, so the last 3 weeks of troubleshooting have been a complete waste of mine, and Vodafone staff's time.

I endorse previous posts of people who have had the same experience. It is clear that both VF sales and most technical staff do not know this issue and continue to sell the HTC One series with people using a SS. It is very dissapointing that VF technical staff could not have found this out, like I did, by doing an internet search.

Testing

Following on from extensive testing using two SS's at two locations, the issues seem to be the phone's selection of GSM or 3G. The SS only works on 3G and when using the SS when there is no GSM signal the phone works fine. However, it would seem that as soon as the phone detects a GSM signal it moves the call across to GSM in preference regardless of any difference in signal strength. We have managed to demonstrate this by putting the phone and suresignal in a metallic container. It works fine. As the phone is withdrawn from the container the RHS right on the SS goes off and the call continues, but with signal strength falling to 1-2 bars. We have tried with the phone set to GSM only, GSM+3G and 3G only. This proved the hypothesis above.

Note that once the call has been transfered to the local GSM mast, the SS does not have the functionality to transfer a call dynamically from an existing GSM call to the SS, so the call must be initiated through the SS.

Apart from the calls being regularly dropped, another consequence is finding voicemail messages with no missed calls despite being 3m from the SS.

Setting the phone to 3G only provides a workaround, but then the user has to remember to change the settings in the phone to GSM/3G to make the phone work elsewhere.

The conclusions we reached with Vodafone technical services is that the issue lies within the phone. The way in which the software chooses between 3G and GSM. Whether this is specifically confined to the implementation of VF's sure signal is unknown. Speculation is that this is because of the specific environment of a SS: the SS provides a locallised 3G signal but no GSM, whereas public VF masts will typically overlay a 3G signal on the same mast as GSM making similar signal strengths.

As a final point, this has been a known issue since April 2012. Why therefore over 6 months later is this not resolved? Are VF making any efforts to apply pressure to HTC to either fix this issue or rebuff it as a SS problem?

Message 114 of 115 (9,900 Views)
boe32

I cant see what vodafone can do, like you said, its the phone not the vss, this behaviour happens regardless of being connected to the vss, i have htc onex, exact same behaviour, its htc's poor attempt of battery saving, theres is quite a few phones out there that do the same thing, if theres a gsm signal it will revert to it while making calls,unless you choose 3g only.

Message 115 of 115 (9,873 Views)