Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhones not connecting to V3 Sure Signal

mkelly21
2: Seeker

Hi,

We have been using the Vodafone SS for over a year with no issues. In the last couple of weeks our iPhones have been unable to connect. What I mean by this is that if we go out of the house and come back in they won’t connect to the SS.

From my iPhone - I tried a couple of times to connect to another mobile provider (EE) whch failed and then connect back to Vodafone, this forced connection to the SS but it only worked for a short time.

Today I de-registered and turned off the SS for a couple of hours, I have re-registered it and reconnected to the internet and it’s not allowing any iPhones to connect. Both phone numbers have been re-added to the online portal.

I have performed the various tests and all look ok, I know the SS is connecting ok so this must be a separate issue- would appreciate if Vodafone could take a peek.

SS serial number is 40132755162 showing as active in the Vodafone SS portal.

Thanks

Mark Kelly

45 REPLIES 45

mkelly21

This is a V3 Suresignal Box

Speed Test

10.33 Down & 1.08 Up

Tracert

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\KellyM>tracert 212.138.133.177

Tracing route to 212.138.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  172.16.30.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  be476.pr2.thlon.isp.sky.com [2.120.11.85]
  4     9 ms     8 ms    10 ms  ae-3.r02.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [83.231.221.
45]
  5     9 ms     9 ms    10 ms  ix-ae-5-0.tcore1.LDN-London.as6453.net [195.219.
83.185]
  6    31 ms    32 ms    30 ms  if-ae-17-2.tcore1.L78-London.as6453.net [80.231.
130.129]
  7    31 ms    30 ms    35 ms  if-ae-2-2.tcore2.L78-London.as6453.net [80.231.1
31.1]
  8    30 ms    31 ms    30 ms  if-ae-9-2.tcore2.WYN-Marseille.as6453.net [80.23
1.200.13]
  9    30 ms    30 ms    30 ms  if-ae-2-2.tcore1.WYN-Marseille.as6453.net [80.23
1.217.1]
 10    99 ms    99 ms    99 ms  80.231.217.99
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\KellyM>

Pingtest 16ms Jitter 9ms

External IP 90.192.0.172

Ports are open & forwarded on firewall.

@mkelly21

We've resynchronised your Sure Signal box, to ensure it's up to date on the latest server.

Please leave the device for minimum of 6 hours.

Following this, restart both of the mobile devices in range of the Sure Signal box.

I've also noticed your upload speed of 1.08 mbps, is only 0.08 mbps over the minimum requirement for the device to function.

As you're using multiple devices, this can result in the service becoming intermittent and inevitably disconnecting. 

A suggestion would be to speak to your broadband provider, in hope the connection speed could be increased.

mkelly21
Thanks for your reply.

I have restarted both devices and they still do not see the sure signal box.

I have restarted the Sure Signal box and again this made no difference.

In regard to your comment about the upload speed... Unfortunately where I live this is the best I can hope for. It's also worth mentioning that I have had no issues with this Sure Signal box for approx a year and then all of a sudden 3 weeks ago it's stopped.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Mark

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mkelly21 Please can you let us know the light sequence on your Sure Signal, so we're able to perform further checks from our end. 

Please also try your Sure Signal in an alternative location and test to see if it works. 

Light sequence is static red light and then two static white lights.

I've spoken to your technical team and they have said something about the signal being improved in my area which I find hard to believe.

I've been instructed to drop down from 4G to 3G and the phones connect to the SS box - however they still don't reconnect when coming in from being outside. In the house the 3G signal is approx one or two bars at most so I'm assuming the SS box should take over the cell connection.

I have moved the SS to a different location and it does the same thing.

I have even been that desperate that I deregistered the SS overnight and reconnected and it's still the same.

Can you advise what to do next?

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mkelly21 Due to the limitation deisgn of the Sure Signal, it won't be able to retain it's connection if it connects to your local serving cell and leaves the proximity of the devices reach. 

If your phone has connected to an external site and left the Sure Signal connection, it will struggle to hand information back to the Sure Signal to keep the call going. 

Hi Rahim,

Your comment "If your phone has connected to an external site and left the Sure Signal connection, it will struggle to hand information back to the Sure Signal to keep the call going" 

I need to note that a call is not in progress when I move away from the sure signal box and return. 

I now have to enter flight mode and then turn it off and my iphone connects to the sure signal again.. 

I'm sure this can't be right... 

@mkelly21

I can see that there was a location change, so I’ve updated this for you.

This can take up to 24 hours but it’s normally not that long.

Please perform a reset after the 24 hour period:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in

After the above steps have been completed, allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

I am seeing exactly the same problem with two (identical) iPhone 6 phones. They both ceased to find a connection to the VSS V3 after they were updated to IOS 9.3.2 last week.

I have had 2 calls with Vodafone VSS techical support - both of which gave the same advice as posted here (including 2 re-synchronisations of my VSS V3 with their Servers) but still the problem remains unsolved.

The VSS V3 has been working with these phones perfectly and without problem until the IOS 9.3.2 update last week.

The white status lights are on...  no blinking...  just as they have always been when things worked.

Either Apple's IOS update has broken something, or the VSS can not operate successfully with the lates IOS release.

This needs looking at, in my view.