Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

new sure signal unit

Waspinall
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Trying to set up a brand new sure signal unit, registered 2 x users confirmed email. but phones now seem worse. Lights on unit are red light flashing constantly, amber light on a phone symbol light constantly.

Any ideas what i should do?

Cheers, Wyn

15 REPLIES 15

froggerty
16: Advanced member

When you say that you have registrerd it, have you done so with your landline broadband provider?, and have you connected it via the Ethernet cable between it and your router?. Connecting one of these signal boxes does not only incurr the charge for the unit but also incurrs a charge on your landline/broadband provider.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

@froggerty wrote:

When you say that you have registrerd it, have you done so with your landline broadband provider?, and have you connected it via the Ethernet cable between it and your router?. Connecting one of these signal boxes does not only incurr the charge for the unit but also incurrs a charge on your landline/broadband provider.

Some of the above is correct, it needs to be plugged into the router, which I guess it is as the instruction poster is pretty clear on that front.

There is no need to let your ISP know you are using a suresignal, I doubt they would really care.

And there won't be any charges on top of the broadband charges already being paid to the ISP and Phone Company for the internet connection.

If all plugged in ok, there are a number of things that could stop it connecting to the service, as it needs to create a secure path over the internet to the vodafone network.

Most of the time it is a setting in the router that needs tweaking, and very rarely the broadband just isn't quick enough to handle the call traffic.

Who's your ISP, and what router is being used?

That sounds better to me I am on virgin approx 30meg download an 3meg upload, i have tried resetting the router. so do i need to dial in to the router to add?

Cheers, Wyn

grolschuk

If it is one of the Superhubs, there is a setting within Advanced -> Firewall that mentions VPN (i can't recall the exact wording)

Turn that on.

Turn the suresignal off

Reboot the router

Turn the suresignal on

And see if that helps

froggerty

Ring your ISP and ask them what you need to do to get it up and running, they will give you instructions how to get it set up, and if there will be any additional charge.

froggerty

I've already been down the path of connecting one of these signal boxes and on contacting my ISP was told that it had to be registered through your ISP as it works through your BB/router, there is a charge for this, that's why I never bothered with it.

grolschuk

@froggerty wrote:

I've already been down the path of connecting one of these signal boxes and on contacting my ISP was told that it had to be registered through your ISP as it works through your BB/router, there is a charge for this, that's why I never bothered with it.

Who's your ISP that wanted to charge you for configuring their router?

Either it's a very specalist service that needs fine tuning which is fair enough, or they wanted to take you for a ride.

I've got around 20 members of staff using these around the country, and the only time we had to call any of the ISPs was BT to find out that the Home Hub in use wasn't ever going to work with the Suresignal, and the end result was buying a router that would work.

The majority worked out of the box, and some needed slight tweaks, such as with the virgin media connection.

froggerty

My ISP did not want to charge to configure the router, that's done automatically by any provider, it was in configuring and registering the signal box that would be charged for, adding an extra £5 per month to my 'services package' which I was not prepared to pay.

grolschuk

That does sound very odd.

You were not asking for an additional public IP address for the suresignal were you?

As for all intent and purpose, it's just another end-user device on the inside of your network.

It should be treated no differently to a desktop, laptop, smart tv, or mobile phone using the wifi.

I doubt you would need to pay for any of those?

All the box needs is an internet connection, which it gets by plugging into the router, and a clear path to the outside world for the type of traffic it generates, which is where the tinkering with settings comes into play if it does not work out of the box.