Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ongoing sure signal problems

paulqpr
4: Newbie

Hi

I have a sure signal version 2, which i'm using with an Asus router on a wireless ISP because I live in a field, but I do have a good quality service of 20+ mbps but pretty much zero Voda reception hence the SS box

This SS box has followed me from a much faster BT infinity service when I lived in a little less rural earlier this year and that worked seamlessly with BT

Since moving on to this system, I have been using iPhones (3 of them) and they all achieve 4-5 bars and a 3G signal but the call quality from the other persons perspective is poor and we get dead spots mid call and then dropped calls

A Voda support person has looked into this, has re-synced and looked at the box and confirmed they can't see any issues

so, I have purchased a version 3 and I cannot get it to even connect to the system.  It is all registered but despite following the troubleshooting it wont work

Now, part of the troubleshooting for the V3 was to look at port forwarding, but I dont want to get into this because:

a) I dont understand it

b) I dont see why I need to when the v2 returns the correct signal and works without tweaks to my Asus

and I am just wondering if anyone has used a voda SS with an ASUS RT-N66U and worked out any tweaks and if I should be contacting my ISP and if so, what should I be saying to them

Any help or advice would be great, thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi paulqpr,

Please get back to us with the info Matt's requested above so we can look into this.

Keep in mind the Sure Signal is designed to work with hard-wired broadband for both signal speed and consistency. 

The wireless signal may appear to provide a good quality connection, but if any key packets are lost the Sure Signal would be unable to stay connected.

Dave

Hi

Hi

I've gone back to using my SS2, but no improvement at all.  Answers from the post, posted below

SPEED TEST

Ping

57 ms

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3207845952

PING

http://www.pingtest.net/result/91352215.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/91352215.png

IP

IPv6

::ffff:b2fb:b776

Serial no: 40111061723

TRACERT

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  www.asusnetwork.net [192.168.1.1]
  2     3 ms    10 ms     3 ms  178.251.183.118
  3     9 ms    12 ms    11 ms  192.168.125.254
  4    15 ms    23 ms    14 ms  edge1.beazley.skyline-networks.net [91.202.139.6
]
  5    15 ms    16 ms    14 ms  vl485-skyline-gw-b.jump.net.uk [194.153.169.118]

6    19 ms    29 ms    75 ms  vl485-skyline-sup-tfm1.jump.net.uk [194.153.169.
115]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    17 ms    21 ms    16 ms  ae-52-52.csw2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.120]

9    14 ms    21 ms    11 ms  ae-229-3605.edge4.London1.Level3.net [4.69.166.1
7]
 10    20 ms    19 ms    16 ms  195.50.122.66
 11    13 ms    18 ms    17 ms  85.205.116.10
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi paulqpr,

Many thanks for the results. Everything checks out with your IP address and speedtest. I'm a little wary of the fact you're unable to get a result on packet loss.

I'd have a word with your ISP about getting the port forwarding set up if you're not sure how to do it from the port forwarding guide supplied. They can sort it for you so we can re-test.

Can you post back with the outcome so we know it's sorted or dig further? :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

paulqpr
4: Newbie
Thanks Ben

I will speak to my ISP, but I have no idea what port forwarding is? Is it a security risk? Also you mention a guide? Where could I find this?

Thanks again

Hi again

I've spoken to my ISP and they tell me I would need to do the port forwarding myself, as its my own router and I am authenticating on my router

I have no idea where to start

What they also did say was, to tell you it wont be a PPPoE issue (i dont even know what that is) and that they have given me a public IP address now, which may help...

Help please?

Hi paulqpr,

You can see a full guide of how to forward the ports on your router here.

If you go to the link and scroll down the page, you just need to select your router form the list to see the free guide.

You can see the lists of ports to forward here.

James

Hi

reading the pages you linked me to, it sates I should ensure

'Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router'

I dont even know how to do this, should I not start here with some guidance?

Whilst reviewing I have taken a leap and started looking at the Port Forwarding, I have created a static IP on my main computer and using the intructions I have set up my Asus RT-N66U, even though if finishes with an error. 

Having done this though, should I now reboot things or something else to get this working?

That all said, Why does it have to be this hard?

I used this fine with my BT inifity, with no need to tinker with the router, I move house and it stops working, preventing me using my Vodafone mobile anywhere near my home!