Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

sure signal ??? rofl

jimmyj
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Only thing sure about this is it don't work !! I have gone 12 months into a contract with an I-phone 4 that I am unable to use, I have to stand up the road for it to work in the rain and cold, I have been with vodaphone for 12 years now and have three contracts with them so much for loyalty . I have been flat told no chance of a new hand set as every other phone works reasonably well in the house. so after bieng starred out by by an aggresive shop assistant at my local shop. i went to cancel, i let myself get talked into trying this set up, i have been registerd now for three to four weeks added all my numbers fine only problem is it dont work.

the red light flashes continuosly and the orange phone stays light, i have phoned and talked with customer services fiddled with it reset it turned it on off and spun it roud my head for 3 hours today and now i have had enough of it so iam off to cancel all my contracts whats the point of paying for a line rental that dont work ?  

13 REPLIES 13

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jimmyj, 

Can you take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, and then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread?

Thanks

Paul

Paul with due respect there are two pictures niether are what i have, its like a plug with another socket on the front ?

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jimmyj,

Is it just the iPhone that doesn’t connect to the Sure Signal or all of them?

If all, please can you let me know the full light sequence that you see and also the following details;

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

My apologies for the troubleshooting guides, we are currently still looking at getting these added to the thread.

James

Your speed test results from here.

Ping here is 10ms

Download 37.41Mbps

Upload 9.04Mbps

Your ping test results from here.

Ping here is 16ms

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

tracert 212.183.133.177 is not  recognized as a internal or external command operable program or batch file.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jimmyj, 

From the descriptions you've given, your Sure Signal is not connecting to your router properly.

Are you able to run a traceroute again too as you should be able to do this to determine if you have an internet connection.

If the traceroute fails again, can you try your Sure Signal on another connection?

Let me know how you get on

Paul

I have tried again and the same thing comes up it is plugged into the router as described in the leaflet to the letter. i have moved it as far away as the cable will let me. my daughters phone works at my house she also has an i-phone 4 the same as mine. it is the phone thats the problem i have explained this i have another six months to the end of this contract why cant they just change the phone ? surley i deserve some sort of respect after i have been with vodaphone for 12 years ? if this is not sorted by the end of this month i am going to stop all then payments and go to court and fight them for breach of contract.

Paul sorry but this thing is a joke and its not going to work i have wasted enough of my valuble time trying to get it to work at least a day 

thanks for your effort but i'll deal with this another way now.

Jimmy

In  most circumstances the SureSignal seems to work properly when you plug it in and follow the instructions. You're one of the unlucky ones. But if you can set it up it's a brilliant piece of kit. Unfortunately it does need a bit of technical knowledge to deal with your home internet connection.

The flashing red light means that the SureSignal can't connect through your router to Vodafone, and it seems that's where your problem lies. Until that connection is established the SureSignal won't work.

From what I've seen in the forum the Vodafone tech guys are really helpful and very knowledgable. I know you must be frustrated, but if you work with them and follow their advice the chances are that you'll get it to work. But you've got to be patient and provide them with the information they need. It's worth persevering - the SureSignal will solve your problems. Just try not to get annoyed. It's not their fault your router needs a bit more work than most.

Good luck!

so what do i do next ?

Hi Jimmy

Re-engage with VF tech support and with this forum's users. The tech guys are obviously the key the understanding what's happening at the Vodafone end, and there are some other people who inhabit the forum who have a huge amount of knowledge and experience. I've only a low to medium level of knowledge about networks so they're way beyond me. You'll need to decide whether to do that through this thread or by starting a fresh one to get rid of the baggage.

Maybe the first thing to do is post the make and model of router you're using. I'm new here, but I've seen in other posts that there are some routers that simply won't work with SureSignal. Search the forum for your router model - someone else may have found the key to making it work, or someone may have shown that it won't work, in which case you know that you're not going to make progress with your current set-up.

There are three connections that need to be made before SS will work for you - between SS and the router, the router and Vodafone, and between SS and your phone(s).

What's worrying from your last post to the VF tech was that you weren't able to ping the Vodafone server using tracert. From the response you got it looks like it was finger trouble - it's telling you that your computer didn't understand the instruction you gave it. You have got a PC running Windows rather than a Mac? If you're not familiar with using the Command Prompt there's a simple guide to tracert on a Windows PC here. You'll be inputting the ip address 212.183.133.177 rather than a domain name. If you get the same response as first time, try 212.58.241.131 - that's the BBC website. If they both give the same error, post back.

Do these things as a first stage and we can make some progress. Any problems along the way, just ask.