Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

sure signal via fixed wireless internet connection

ipcdoc
2: Seeker

Has anyone got any experience of using a sure signal over a fixed wireless broadband Internet connection? The connection is nominally 10 megs up and down but a speed test usually shows 7 to 8 down and 5 to 6 up.

Is there a 7 day cooling off period if it doesn't work? 

Also asked about a discount yesterday in a Vodafone shop as I upgraded two contacts to be told the sure signal is discount locked. Given my loyalty to Vodafone over the years is there any chance of a deal? 

6 REPLIES 6

RogerFarrow
1: Seeker
Mine is pants. I still lose the signal sitting within 3 feet of the Sure Signal box, latest info is that it may be because I have a very old sim. I will be changing the sim if it ever arrives - another very loooong story.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ipcdoc, 

The majority of users will use it with a fixed wireless connection. The speeds you mention are perfect. 

There is a seven day cooling off period so you can make sure you're happy with it. We actually lose money selling the Sure Signal for £100 so we're unable to offer any discounts sorry. 

RogerFarrow - Can we help at all? Let us know how you get on with a new SIM. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Thanks Kay.

By fixed wireless broadband I mean the method by which I receive my Internet service not the network once past my router.  I cannot get fixed line broadband as my house is to far from the exchange so we have a fixed wireless connection to a mast.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ipcdoc,

To be honest, they are designed to be used with a standard fixed line broadband rather than a fixed line wireless connection.

From what you have said, you have a router in your home that connects to the wireless internet and you then connect your PC to this router, is this correct?

In these given setups it should still work but there is never a guarantee.

On a side note, do you know if that connection is a PPPoE or PPPoA connection?

Also, what’s your external IP address? If you let me know this, I can see if it’s on our whitelist before you buy the unit.

James

Doc
Struggling to log in on my laptop but back in via Android app.
I have a fixed wireless signal to an aerial on my roof, this connects to a router and I then use it as any normal broadband.
It is PPPoE.
IP is 94.126.194.105

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Doc,

It's the difference between wireless and a physical connection which raises the issue. Wireless signals are not as reliable as a physical cabled connection. For example there could be line of sight issues, and these are more prone to elctrical interference.

The Sure Signal specifically supports PPPoA, but we've seen a number of PPPoE customers saying they've had it working too.

The IP address is fine, so that won't be an issue for you.

You'll see the details of the other requirements here.

You do have seven working days peace of mind when you buy one, though, so if it proves to be unsuitable you can return it in that time.

Dave