Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

suresignal relocation

spineynorman
1: Seeker

I have moved my sure signal to a new location within this house.  You have asked by txt, to enter new postcaode.  The txt cannot be replied to as there are no recipients.  On line I have deleted my postcode and re-inserted it.  Still I am getting txt requests to change it.  Please add an option on your web site to confirm the existing address as the correct one!

My sure signal is great (I have had it for 4 years and am now on model 2.) and is essential as the signal in my house is appalling.  I have to go to the bottom of the garden or hang out of the front bedroom window to get more than 2 'bars'.  Your coverage maps show a top quality service here but it is not and it has never been.  How are the coverage maps plotted.?

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Matt, Spineynorman;

is there a way to tell whether this 'relocated SS, please update your postcode' message is genuine ?

I am not sure exactly what technique Vodafone use within the various SS boxes, but I am pretty sure it will not be able to tell the difference (nor care) between a ground floor and 1st floor located SS.

I received a similar text @ 04:25 am Sun 7th.

I was asleep in the same room as the SS at the time, and am 'pretty sure' it was turned off...

I left that location later Sunday am; and I am pretty sure the SS is turned off.

Is there anyway that Vodafone can check whether the unit is on, and if so, 'roughly' where ?

I will not return to the SS location until Sunday 14th; and am wondering if there has been a break-in..

I talked to the customer help people on 191, who have 'done something' to stop me getting the 'reminder, update your postcode' texts, but they were not much help about whether the unit is on, or...

thanks...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you haven't had a break in.

In order to provide service the Sure Signal units connect back to a cluster of servers running femtocell management  software that allows Vodafone to control them as part of the radio network so if this happening then someone at Vodafone will see it as being 'on'

On the basis that you have to register the device against your account I would think that the status is recorded against your account but whether this is shown to CS on their main customer data screen or if they have to go digging through other screens to find it (which they may be reluctant to do) is another matter.

It could also be possible that only network operations can see it.

I don't know how their system detects that you've changed your postcode (or it thinks you have) unless your connection's IP address is changing but I thought you have to have a fixed IP to support a Sure Signal?

Hello PCtechbloke;

I am 'kinda in the business'; so I have an appreciation of some of the techniques/technologies used.

AFAIK there is no 'fixed IP address' requirement to use SS; so you are right in implying that if my ISP has arbitrarily changed the public IP of my gateway, this could trigger the text.

Thiking about this, I did in fact re-boot the broadband gateway, but nearer 10am say on Sunday morning..

The SS could also report back to the servers what control channel / base station IDs it can see (so a long distance move is visible to the network operator).

IF the SS had a GPS unit incorporated, that would indicate small moves, as well as large; but with GPS precision, why would Vodafone need the postcode to be entered in the 'Manage SS page' ?

spineynorman
1: Seeker

Wireless network speeds

Ping 10ms, download 20.39 Mbs  upload 10.85 Mbs

IP

IPV6

::fff:5613:f021

Traceroute

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Neil laptop>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     8 ms     9 ms    24 ms  10.14.164.1

2     9 ms    12 ms    10 ms  popl-core-2a-ae4-1238.network.virginmedia.net [8

0.1.171.133]

3    53 ms    17 ms    11 ms  popl-bb-2a-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254

.42.5]

4    13 ms    13 ms    14 ms  nrth-bb-2a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254

.42.69]

5     *        *       19 ms  nrth-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254

.42.130]

6    15 ms    12 ms    14 ms  tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.

174.18]

7    36 ms    30 ms    34 ms  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]

8    31 ms    29 ms    29 ms  85.205.0.86

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

COMMENT

The suresignal device solves all my connection problems so the question I wanted you to respond to is 'Why will your online amend page not permit me to delete and add the same postcode when the suresignal device was only moved to a different room."

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

The suresignal won't care if it is moved within the same house/building.

The texts as far as I can tell is if the ISP re-assigns a new IP to your router that was previously elsewhere in the country, making vodafone think you have moved.

Not that common as pools of DHCP addresses generally stay in the same area, but it does happen sometimes.

I have around 20 suresignals registered on my account, and between them I get such a text maybe once every 6 months, which isn't bad considering they are all over the country on different ISPs.

Changing the postcode to somewhere random, and then changing it back to your own should stop the txts coming in.