Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

vss v.3 and DGND 3700 v.2

pete_h
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, There seems to be a lot of problems  with the v.3 and netgear routers,My problem is i have 2 vss a v.1 and v.3 both which worked fine with a belkin f5d8635-4v1. Ithen changed to a netgear dgnd 3700 v2 , now the v.1 works fine and v.3 refuses to connect red flashing led , orange steady service led ,tried the usal reset ,de register , re register no luck any ideas?

pete_h

13 REPLIES 13

awright991
11: Established
11: Established
Hi, seeming the sure signal worked on your old router I would put it down to the netgear not allowing the universal plug and play to work correctly, if even at all.

Go to your router : http://192.168.0.1 and go to advanced and then upnp and see if it is checked, if you haven't changed the password or user, your log on details to the router should be user:admin/ password : password.

If the problem continues manually enable the port forwarding by going to http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20917/~/how-is-port-forwarding-configured%3F and following the instructions.

The ports are 50, 4200, 500 and 123 I do believe.

If all else fails see if there is a update for your router.

Hope this helps
From your friendly forum spider

Hi awright991, thanks for your reply ,yes it is set for upnp , but why will v1 work and v3 will not ? I will try the port fwd,

pete_h

Hi there again, I don't know why, most probably a change in the encryption so it mite connect to the router using a different methods and encryption version, which can cause trouble with some routers, much the same as a virtual private connection would. (They are basicly the same systems)

Hope this helps

P.s. did the port forwarding work?

Hi awright991,

thanks for your help again,i hope vodafone techPaulE might help as well,

Regards Pete

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there pete_h,

Thanks for the information we requested.

Has there been a power outage, break in service or anything else that might have caused the VSS to drop the connection?

I've had a look and the last connection to our servers was on 23/12/12 at 09:35 so I've forced a resync which may force a reconnection but you'll have to factory reset the VSS.

You can do this by holding the reset button for 10 seconds.

Let me know if you need anything else following the reset. It should take no longer than an hour to become active on the network.

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi Lee, Still not working, The Router was changed on the 23/12/12  and the vss v3 has not worked since not even with port fwd

vss v1 still working fine ?

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pete_h,

That would explain the significance of the date, which hasn't updated on the system.

Is there any difference in the way the two Sure Signals are connected, and have you tried swapping them over so that you can test the v3 with exactly the same cables and connections as the v1 has worked with?

I do note that the upload speed is quite close to the functional minimum, so can you advise if the v3 starts working if no other devices are connected? 

Finally, I did just notice that steps 7-10 on the traceroute did seem a little high and quite variable, so this may be affecting the ability of the v3 to stay connected. I'd just suggest speaking with your ISP and showing them the traceroute results to ask them to check if anything is causing this.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Tried what you suggested but still not working , have been on to BT who said the results were within there limits?

There must be differences in the software between the 2 units as they are manufactured by different companies,

Any comments?

Regards pete_h

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pete_h, 

All of the investigation and the light sequence would suggest that your V3 is unable to create a connection - are you able to test the unit on another broadband connection to see if it can connect there? 

Do you still have the original router - if so, can you plug it back in and see if your V3 starts working - if it does then this would indicate a problem with the new router setup, so you'd need to speak to the manufacturer

Are you able to log into your router settings to make sure the V3 isn't being denied access by a firewall? 

Paul