You are here:

Windows

Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Lumia 930 & Windows 10

Hi All,

Has anyone noticed problems with Lumia phones & using Skype, Voice Recorder or Speakerphone?

My 2 year old Lumia 930 cannot be used on the functions I mention as of the Windows 10 update around April 2016.

There is a well publicised problem whereby the Win 10 update did something to the auxilliary microphones on the device rendering them all useless. This is just a software thing it seems. As a result the only mic that works is the main one used for phone voice calls.

I have been hoping that over the course of the year Microsoft would issue a fix....but not so far!

Are we to assume that a fix will never be issued? Is Vodafone doing anything about it?

Comments welcome!

Cheers, Dave

Message 1 of 10 (6,355 Views)
Topics: 4
Solutions: 2

Re: Lumia 930 & Windows 10

Hi @Dave_Voda, our Repair team may need to take a closer look at the phone to determine what is causing the issue. If the phone is out of warranty, there may be a charge for this. You can find more information here.

I would also recommend speaking with the manufacturer for any further advice that they may have in regards to this.

Message 2 of 10 (6,228 Views)

Natasha,

Thanks for your message.

Be sensible. Google the problem. You'll find, as I said, it's a well documented Windows 10 'bug'.

There was a Microsoft/Nokia tool which enabled you to test the mics on a Lumia phone. Microsoft pulled the tool because they realised they had brought about a catastrophic widespread problem.

When will Vodafone & MS get their act & professional obligations together & fix the problem!

Be assured I am not paying you or MS a penny to 'fix' this. An update to Win 10 is needed.

As a non contract business customer I can go elsewhere with another phone manufacturer though.

Dave
Message 3 of 10 (6,215 Views)
Topics: 0

@Dave_Voda

I understand your frustration with this.

As @Natasha mentioned, the manufacturer will be able to discuss these issues with you.

In terms of the next Windows update, please see our firmware statement.

Message 4 of 10 (6,164 Views)

Carly,

OK. Put me right then. Who is the manufacturer? Enlighten me as to who I should contact.

Oh, & please give me their contact details.

Dave
Message 5 of 10 (6,158 Views)
Topics: 0

@Dave_Voda

I've checked this for you, there's a Microsoft help page containing contact details, they may be able to shed some light on the issue.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 6 of 10 (6,153 Views)

Erm, Carly....

Whilst not wishing to seem ungrateful, if you take a shot at the 'facilities & info' offered there you'll realise that is a pointless suggestion.

You just go round in circles!

No what I want from you as the retailer of the device you were paid to supply to me is a proper contact link...company name, phone number, email address etc.

Or maybe as usual you just don't care!
Message 7 of 10 (6,139 Views)
Topics: 6
Solutions: 16

@Dave_Voda Apologies, you'll be able to get in touch with the team at Microsoft here

I've tested the option myself and can see that there's a callback option from a Microsoft expert available. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Message 8 of 10 (6,082 Views)

Dear All, especially Vodafone Tech's,

Despite your encouragement to (a) visit your shops to get a Tech to check my phone or (b) contact the 'manufacturer' - I have fixed my problems myself!

I downgraded my phone from Win 10 back Win 8.1. It took approx 10 minutes & went without any drama or problems.

So now my Lumia 930 works properly, the way it was meant to. Skype works properly, I get audio when I do voice recording, I get audio with video recording....& hey Cortana answers my questions! Oh, & speaker phone works...people can hear me!

SO THE MORAL OF ALL THIS IS....MICROSOFT HAVE CRIPPLED THE SECONDARDY MIC'S ON LUMIA PHONES WITH WINDOWS 10.

Wake-up Vodafone, look at the Windows forums & elsewhere....Listen to dozens, yes dozens of people!! Accept your responsibility & obligations to your customers. Get MS to sort their rubbish product out!

I'm not under any contracts....When it suits me I will take my 3 business accounts elsewhere!

Freedom!

Cheers, Dave

Message 9 of 10 (5,816 Views)
Topics: 6
Solutions: 16

@Dave_Voda Thank you for letting us know how you were able to resolve the issue! 

We'll use the information to help any customers who experience the same issue. 

Message 10 of 10 (5,669 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up