You are here:

Windows

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Microsoft Lumia

Hello. I from Russia. In July for the first time I was in England. I left phone in a taxi and therefore decided to purchase new. In Vodafone I asked the seller: this phone will work in Russia? He answered: yes. But phone does not work, demands an unblocking code. Who is guilty? Perhaps, the seller not especially went for deception. But how to me to be to open phone now when it worked in Russia? What to make whom to address?

Message 1 of 20 (8,493 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV

Re: Microsoft Lumia

Hi,

I think that may have been a simple mis-understanding.

Most people who ask 'will this phone work in another country' are asking because they want to know if the phone will work while they are on holiday, using their vodafone sim card and UK number.

Not put another sim card in there from a different country's network.

Do you still have the telephone number and SIM that you got with the phone?

You can try requesting the unlock code here.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

Message 2 of 20 (8,492 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @Yaroslav

You would need to be in the Uk and using your Vodafone Uk SIM card in be phone sending texts ,making calls , using data and or toppling up to be eligible to unlock after the required 30 days.

The options as I see it are:

Look at the listing of the phone if bought off eBay etc and see what its description is in relation to its locked / unlocked status and then check any T&C's. If you bought privately then I don't see much recourse I'm afraid. 

Ask the original owner to request its unlock although vodafone cannot guarantee an unlock code will work outside the uk and not latched onto the Vodafone Uk Network. 

Or send it to someone you know in the uk for them to use it for the 30 days on Payg , request the unlock , unlock it and send it back to you. 

Sell it on and buy a model that's already unlocked to all networks or locked into your own countries network. 

Check if any standalone shops in your country can unlock it as a last resort. I must emphasise this isn't the route to really take and can have issues with the unlock not holding or further issues being caused. 

image.jpeg

Message 3 of 20 (8,481 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was in England only 4 days at conference. I left the phone in a taxi therefore has decided to buy new. I didn't buy a sim card as I departed this day. according to this reference I am not given a code for an unblocking because there it is possible to write only the English number, and my Russian number doesn't approach...

Moderator note: Deleted personal details, please have a look at our Community Guidelines

Message 4 of 20 (8,454 Views)

I bought phone at office of vodafone. I said to the seller that I buy phone for use in Russia. Нe didn't sell me a simcard, didn't explain that phone needs to be unblocked. I just didn't know such things. I am very baffled with the vodafone service as I can't write to them directly. I can write only on a forum.

Message 5 of 20 (8,452 Views)

[ Edited ]

I followed the instruction. But Vodafone is ready to send a code for an unblocking only to the British number. I think them it is necessary to give the chance to include in the list of numbers as well my Russian number. It is an error of the seller of Vodafone. But I don't know how directly to address in Vodafone with the letter. 

Message 6 of 20 (8,229 Views)

Hi @Yaroslav

1. The phone will need to have been used on the Vodafone Uk Network to latch its imei number to a valid Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go Account. (30 Days use making calls,texts,data use,topping up on Pay As You Go)
  2. Vodafone cannot guarantee an unlocking code will work while not in the Uk.

It's feasible the Vodafone Highstreet Employee didn't understand what you wanted to achieve. They sell phones primarily for use in the U.K. 

image.jpeg

Message 7 of 20 (8,223 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master

Yaroslav wrote:

I bought phone at office of vodafone. I said to the seller that I buy phone for use in Russia. Нe didn't sell me a simcard

If you bought a phone from a Vodafone Store in the UK, it would have been sold with a PAYG SIM card and a topup.  The shop assistant may not have mentioned this to you as it is standard practice - Vodafone do not sell phones without SIM cards.

Yaroslav wrote:

It is an error of the seller of Vodafone.

It depends on what you said to the person.  If you said that you wanted to use the phone in Russia - they aren't at fault as the phone can be used in Russia with the Vodafone UK SIM card in it.  This seems to be what you asked for originally and what @Grolschuk explained here

If you asked if you could use a Russian SIM card in the phone, that is very different from asking if the phone would work in Russia.  If you asked this, and you were told that the handset would work with a Russian SIM card in it, then you have been given the wrong information.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 20 (8,218 Views)

Unfortunately, but in Russia there is no Vodafone...

Message 9 of 20 (8,202 Views)

Hi @Yaroslav

If you cannot ship it to someone you know in the Uk and they use it for 30 days on Vodafone Uk Payg , unlock it and ship it back to you. Costs of shipping would need to be weighed up. 

Then the only options that maybe open to you are selling it on or asking if a local shop can unlock it for you.  

image.jpeg

Message 10 of 20 (8,200 Views)

Yaroslav wrote:

Unfortunately, but in Russia there is no Vodafone...

There is no Vodafone in Russia, but that isn't an issue.  Because of International Roaming, you'd be able to connect to one of the Russian networks and use the UK phone number and handset in Russia.  So, when asking if you could use the phone in Russia, the answer is yes which is correct and is the answer you were given when you were in the store. 

Asking if you could use a Russian SIM card in the phone is a very different question from asking if you can use the phone in Russia. It would also give you a very different answer. 

Message 11 of 20 (8,196 Views)

To use the English operator in roaming in Russia? It is very expensive!

Message 12 of 20 (7,929 Views)

Yaroslav wrote:

To use the English operator in roaming in Russia? It is very expensive!

Yes it would be but you could still use the phone in Russia.  That is what I think the person in the store understood from your question.

Message 13 of 20 (7,926 Views)

Can be... I couldn't imagine that it is so possible to think... Probably the only way for me - to go to Leeds and to return phone in shop)

Message 14 of 20 (7,879 Views)

When did you buy the phone? You may already be out of the 30 day window to return the device.

Message 15 of 20 (7,876 Views)

Then I need only to ask him what he actually understood and to present him this phone. I only don't understand - why Vodafone can't change the rule to send the SMS to number of my operator in Russia?

Message 16 of 20 (7,855 Views)

Today I recalled. The seller at first said to me that phone is on sale only with the SIM card in a set. And only after I told that I depart to Russia today and I won't use Vodafone, it sold phone without SIM. What could he think - that I will buy a card of other operator in Britain? It is ridiculous! And now I am responsible for incompetence of the seller, but Vodafone to me in any way doesn't help!

Message 17 of 20 (7,806 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can only but sympathise with the situation your in. 

Without anything in writing to support your verbal conversation your pretty much stuck where you are. 

I hope some of the advice already within this thread helps you. 

Take care. 

image.jpeg

Message 18 of 20 (7,783 Views)

Thank you.

Message 19 of 20 (7,778 Views)
Highlighted

You're welcome.  Smiley Happy

image.jpeg

Message 20 of 20 (7,773 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up