Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems when using Microsoft Lumia 550 for the first time

Buster2017
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am a complete newbie to SmartPhones.  Just brought a new Microsoft Lumia 550 and trying to set it up, but am having a few problems.

My first problem is I'm trying to find out my new number and top it up with £10 of credit via the voucher I purchased from Argos when buying it.  I try to dial 2345 to top it up, and the phone says Emergency Calls Only!  I also dial #100 to find out my mobile number, and again it says Emergency Calls Only!

VERY frustrating!

Any helpful advice to solve this will be welcome.  Then I'll post what the other problem is.  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Chrck the packaging the SIM card came in as the number should be printed on it. 

Look in your contacts app to see if your number is showing there. 

You may need the SIM card to be activated. 

Live Chat should be able to help and or your most local Vodafone store. 

To add.... This may help. 

Lumia-550-manual-setup-guide

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that bandofbrothers and Ann S.  

I checked the packaging of the SIM card and my mobile number was on there.  I called it on my landline to see if it worked, and it did.  So that's that problem solved.  

I also activated my £10 voucher online(on my home PC) and it said that it was credited.

However, still getting the message about I can only make Emergency Calls only.  So I'm unable to dial 17298 to activate the SIM.

I should mention the other problem also.  I am still really halted on the initial setup procedures. And can't seem to access the other facilities of the phone, other than Emergency Calls. I feel I may have selected the wrong Wi-Fi option at the beginning.  I'm stuck on the section where it asks you to create a new or sign in to a Microsoft Account.  As when I select Create One, it says "Can't connect.  We're having trouble signing in.....".

Is there a way to reset back to the very first part of the initial setup procedures?

Any further help appreciated.  If we can't solve this, I may have to speak to Live Chat a bit later to see if they can solve it for me, as I'm just popping out for a short while now.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Youre welcome. 

Does anything in the manual link I added help. 

And http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA138860

Current Phone  >

Hi again

Nothing in the manual link really helps at the mo to be honest.  As I'm just halted at that Microsoft Account sign-in/register during the initial setup procedures, and can only otherwise Emergency Calls.  I need to be able to reset back to the start of those initial setup procedures really, and choose the right Wi-fi option.

And the link to remove my registered Lumia from the Microsoft Account, I am unable to do as I haven't setup a Microsoft Account email address yet.

Might well need to speak to Live Chat to help.  I'm just starting to talk to them now.....

BandOfBrothers

Ok. 

Process of elimination: Can you try you're Sim card in another phone to rule out either the Sim or Account or Phone which may be at fault. 

I wish you all the best. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Buster2017

Try dialling 17298 to activate the SIM.  Your SIM should connect to the network as soon as you have been able to top up.

The number to dial to find your number is *#100# call.

If you still have problems, Live Chat are there to help.