Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi/bluetooth problems

dannyyoung
4: Newbie

Hi everyone

I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 running Windows Phone OS.  I have only had it for about a month or so but I have always had the following problem:

WiFi is generally always switched on, as I use the phone around the house.  When I go out in the car, I connect the phone to my stereo using Bluetooth to listen to music.  When I get back home, the wifi connection is no longer working.  When I access Bluetooth, I can switch it off.  When I access WiFi, the slider is greyed out.  I always have to hard reset the phone to get everything working again, and this is a pain.

I have looked elsewhere (http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/250165-wifi-greyed-out.html) - wondered how I go about getting the handset replaced as this is becoming too common a problem?

Thanks for reading :Smiling:

4 REPLIES 4

dannyyoung
4: Newbie

Also, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but does anyone know how to get a second SIM for my mobile number, so I can use a second handset if I want to?  I have a spare iPhone that I might use if I cannot get this issue sorted.

Cheers.

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi,

Apologies, we appear to have missed your post.

Did you get this sorted? Let us know if we can help further.

Best wishes,

Matt

phargrea
1: Seeker
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Only just started using WiFi and Bluetooth together having recently bought a Microsoft band.
Did your issue ever get resolved?

Whilst I appreciate that this thread is a little old now I believe I have an answer for you - apologies in advance for the technical nature of the answer.

First some background...  Both domestivc Wi-Fi and Bluetooth use the same frequency range - 2.4GHz.  Although there are a large number of channels available within this range, some bleed and interference does occassionally occur.

The earlier Lumia 1020 used the same antenna for both the Wi-Fi signal and the Bluetooth (as a lot of companies do).  Unfortunately, there was a flaw in the software that could not always differentiate between the 2 signals.  This would particularly happen if both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth were in use at the same time and the Wi-Fi detected a public hotspot that required separate login details (this would have the unfortunate effect of locking the Wi-Fi portion of the software).  This was fixed with a software upgrade that was available for the 1020.

Again, apologies for the technical nature of the answer but I hope you found it useful.

(edited to correct a typo)