Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Windows Phone Internet Sharing

go1218
4: Newbie

I am using Nokia 909 (1020) Windows 8.1

Settings - Internet Sharing - can share mobile data connection over WiFi etc., which works OK

But, when doing this the phone cannot use WiFi or VPN.  Has use mobile data only, e.g. 3G or 4G etc.

Is there a work-around or app. that enables Internet Sharing via a WiFi link rather than via mobile data?  

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Are you wanting to be able for example to latch a tablet / netbooks to your phone so it can connect to the Internet which uses your data allowance. 

If so tethering / hotspot features are for pay monthly customers only and may need activating on your account by Cs. 

A device usually has its own wifi connection options thus the type of sharing over wifi wouldn't typically be required. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thesoupdragon

I think what you are describing is turning your phone into a Wi-Fi extender...?

I don't believe there is a way to do this?

Normally your phone would use 3g/4g and then you create a Wi-Fi hot-spot for a Tablet or other phones to use internet.

Tethering to another device via USB cable again would use your mobile date I believe? As mentioned by @BandOfBrothers it may depend on the type of contract you have and if it's enabled?

Thanks for comments.

My contract is pay monthly sim only with data and enabled for internet sharing etc.

I can use the Windows Phone as an internet access point so other devices can use 3G 4G.  That works fine.

Yes, what I am asking about is turning the phone into a wifi extender, but I am also begining to think that this is not possible.

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Its not,

The purpose of the internet sharing function is to allow you to use a wi-fi only device such as a laptop or tablet to access the internet through your phone's 3/4G connection 

If wi-fi is already available in the location you are in then devices should connect directly to this without needing to use the phone

The phone is not designed, nor does it have the functionality to be used as a wi-fi extender

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own