Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

141 not working

RaymondSmart
3: Seeker

I tried to temporarily hide my number today by prefixing the number I was calling with 141 but it didn't hide my number to the other party why?

I tested after mistakenly having given my number to someone I didn't want to have it on my own landline and sure enough 141 did not hide my number after doing some research I know using #31# instead does and I can confirm it does hide my number but isn't memorable enough when making a one off call to a number not in my contacts list, so why is 141 not hiding my number and how can this be resolved to get 141 to hide my number on a temporary basis?

18 REPLIES 18

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

You can set your iPhone to withhold your number if you wish to. 

Settings-Phone-Show my Caller ID. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

RaymondSmart
I know I can permenantly withhold my number but I don't want to do that, surely I should be able to use 141 to hide my number on an individual basis, every other phone I've had in the past 15 plus years allowed you to hide my number using 141 on every other network I've been on surely Vodafone must be the same and I would have thought iPhone 6 would be advanced enough to facilitate this very basic feature after all it recognises #31# so why not 141 surely that's not too much to ask In this day and age!
Come on Vodafone what is the issue?

63johnw

@RaymondSmart wrote:
I know I can permenantly withhold my number but I don't want to do that, surely I should be able to use 141 to hide my number on an individual basis, every other phone I've had in the past 15 plus years allowed you to hide my number using 141 on every other network I've been on surely Vodafone must be the same and I would have thought iPhone 6 would be advanced enough to facilitate this very basic feature after all it recognises #31# so why not 141 surely that's not too much to ask In this day and age!
Come on Vodafone what is the issue?

Tried with mine and it doesnt work for me either, if as @AnnS says the other code should be used then vodafone need to update the help section here

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/Vodafone-call-features/38911916/Restricting-...

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

141 worked for me twice a few moments ago. Using an iPhone 5s.

Maybe it is dependant on the network you are calling, I called to a Virgin Media number and it withheld OK.

jeffkinn

I've just called my wife's Sony Android phone from my iPhone 6+ and 141 withheld the number. We're both on Vodafone of course.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

63johnw

I have tried Vodafone to Vodafone and it didnt work, Vodafone to 3 and it didnt work and vodafone to a land line and it didnt work. 

Using windows phone with 8.1 on.

kids

Vodafone to Vodafone . Worked

Vodafone to O2 . Worked.

Vodafone to BT landline. Worked.

Vodafone to EE . Worked

Vodafone to VM landline. Worked

Vodafone to VM MOBILE. Worked.

STRANGE,

Well I just had a live chat with support and when I put to them the exact text in my first message I was told this 141 facility did not exist!!!

I found that a bit concerning comingfrom support, I provided the link @63johnw provided below;

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voic​email/Vodafone-call-features/38911916/Restricting...

and suggested he looked at that shortly after a chat with the tech team was required and then had to say I had an iPhone6 and a long wait they came back with this and I quote "It seems that he services are not working at the moment." When I asked if someone was working on the issue and when they would be working again I go this reply "Please try after 2-3 days and it should work then."

Having found a waste of time and still annoyed that a call was allowed to go through sending my number to the other party when I believed it to be hidden I got no answer to my call and was shocked when they called me back. Well I thought I would give them a suggestion pass on to the tech team for future reference to configure the system if possible so in the event the 141 service isn't working in the future that it automatically makes the call fail and gives you an annoucement telling you the service isn't working instead of allowing the call to go through sending the number and the caller who thought they had hid their number being none the wiser.

Will just have to wait and see if it works now, so the morale of the story is sometimes when you think you are hiding your number you actually might not be and the way vodafone system works this can happen at any time and you would be none the wiser.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RaymondSmart

I've just tested this from my iPhone 6 Plus and it worked. It's strange that it's working for some and not others.

Keep us updated with how you get on.