Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

£264 for a screen replacement?...

Lugworm
4: Newbie

Hi.

So my 7 months old 6s has a small scratch on the screen and Vodafone are going to charge me £264 to replace the screen.

There's 17 months left on the contract, which means vodafone will be receiving £1190 from me during the remainder or the contract (not including early upgrade).

I've been a continual customer for 6 years and obviously I've spent a fair amount of cash with them during this time.

Is there Really no Leeway on Vodafone's part as far as this is concerned?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I would suggest going to an apple store. 

My son recently has his screen replacement on an iPhone 6 which cost  £80.00

Or if the scratch is superficial put a Tempered Glass screen protector on it. A few pounds off ebay. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Strange that Vodafone can't do that also though. I bought the phone from them - not Apple.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@Lugworm No matter where it was bought Apple are always your best bet.

The Apple Genius has a lot of leeway over what the actual charge will be but the official Apple charges are here

BandOfBrothers

@Lugworm wrote:

Strange that Vodafone can't do that also though. I bought the phone from them - not Apple.

Yes strange. 

Apple are well known for looking after their hardware. 

Normally you can just walk in and if there busy text you to return in a few hours or you can book an appointment via https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

@Lugworm There is no fixed costs for repairs by ayone other than Apple.

As Apple say on there website "Pricing applies only to screen repairs by Apple. Apple authorized service locations may set their own pricing."

So the price with the mark up that Vodafone have quoted you includes VAT and any postage costs so is in line with most retail transaction.

Ok thanks guys. My nearest Apple Genius is 100 miles away. But I guess I can use the money I will save and make it a "Day Out".

The message from Vodaphone couldn't be clearer:

Do Not Buy iPhones From Us.

Because we cannot give you the level of service you will get if you buy them from Apple. Funny. Don't remember reading that in the T&C...

kids

@Lugworm It is worth making an appointment before you visit, especially if you are planning to go at the end of the week or at weekends.