Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3G signal not working...

meg21185
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hiya. 

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 5. Unfortunately, even though I've got full signal and it's showing Vodafone 3G, I can't browse the internet, my emails don't come through, I can't refresh my social network feeds, I can't send iMessages or MMS, and my Whatsapp doesn't work.  So from this, I'm guessing that for some reason, my 3G isn't working. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Can someone from the Tech Support team help?  I've tried all the different remedies listed on various forums on here with no joy.  Should probably also say that I had the same issue from time to time with my iPhone 4S...

Hope someone can help!

Megan 

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks
Matt

1. Update your network connection: - tried this, no luck

2. Check if the issue only happens in one location: - it happens lots of places

3. Test your SIM in another phone - can't do this, I have a nano-SIM and nobody else I know has an iPhone 5...

4. Check your coverage with our UK Coverage Checker - I'm supposed to have great coverage where I am

5. Check our Faults Board - no faults near me

6. Check for existing threads with the search bar nead the top of the forum - no need

7. Post the Network issue template (below) - see below

---------------------------------------------TEMPLATE-----------------------------------------------

SE1 2AF

1). Does the issue happen in just one location. If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service ?

It's happening everywhere I am at the moment - saying that I have 3G, but not actually having internet capability

2). What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the forum, add it to your profile here.

SE1 2AF, SW17 7RN, SW18 3TD, SW12 8DU....

3). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I can't do this - nobody else has an iPhone 5 with a nano-SIM...

4). Are there any issues in your area already reported on the Faults Board?

No

5). Does this issue happen on 2G, 3G or both? To check, go to the Help Centre, select your phone and then select "network".

Both

6). What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No errors seen or heard

7) When did you first notice this issue?

Couple of weeks ago

😎 Is the issue permanent or intermittent (If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs)?

Intermittent - throughout the day. Might have a spell of about 30 mins or so where it works. But unless I'm on WiFi, I can't reliably get on the internet.

Hope you can help...
Megan

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi meg21185,

Thanks for your post.

I'll address each postcode in turn.

SE1 2AF - 3G in this area is generally showing as outdoors only. I have requested 3G coverage enhancement at this postcode.

SW17 7RN - This postcode's coverage should be a lot better than the previous postcode and should be provided by site 6951 in the SW12 area on Old Devonshire Road. I can't see any issues on this site at present and there are no open cases.

SW18 3TD - The site that serves this postcode is referenced 30176 on Ravensbury Terrace on Haslemere Industrial Estate. I can see this site isn't performing as well as expected but there are no open cases at the moment.

SW12 8DU - Site number 1652 should provide this postcode with 3G and it's on Balham High Road. I can see this one is also seeing a few issues but ther's no open cases once again.

So we can investigate your reports I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

LeeH

Bmbanter
1: Seeker
Hi I've a 5s I bought off a friend and the internet isn't working since I've put my sim in why would this be an what can I do to fix it asap? Thanks

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Can you confirm that the phone is unlocked to all networks or locked to Vodafone?

Have you connected the iPhone to iTunes to get the latest settings on your device?  You can also get these by texting the word WEB to 40127.

If you are on PAYG, do you have an active data pack?

PWIAC