Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

A series of rubbish events

thoamstucks75
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

iPhone 5s contract established January 2014 (handset is barely 9 months old). An issue arised about 4 weeks ago where my the home wifi connection would discoonect whilst doing active things on the handset, watching videos, podcasts etc. This normally happens when I'm on the next floor up from the wifi hub, but was never an issue in the past. 

There are other devices connected to the wifi hub at home but none others seem to have this fault, just my defective handset. 

I have reported the issue with both Vodafone customer services and my network provider. I've tried several solutions, to list a few: reset router by unplugging and plugging back in, changing channel on wifi settings, restting network settings through iOS settings. restore of the phone, non of these has helped. 

The intermittent fault with the wifi has caused my wifi to drop out on several occasions, which has in turn, caused my phone to start using 4G connection with no warning. I was aware of this and purchased an extra 1GB and and 2GB packages through Vodafone (a courteous text reminder letting me know that I've only got 250mb data left). What is troubling me the most is that I've recieved no texts to warn me that I'd used that extra 3GB Vodafone have then continued to charge around £6 per 250mb used. My next bill is in excess of £160 (an extra £100 than what I normally pay)

I'm hoping there's  a way I can prove the fault is with the handset and in turn be charged back what I hadn't agreed to pay.

Any thoughts? 

2 REPLIES 2

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Good question

If all reasonable troubleshooting has been done on the handset, you should be able to get it looked at and repaired by either Vodafone or Apple within the first 12 months.

Intermittent issues are always hard to track down, but as long as you are on the latest software version, and things are still going wrong, then push for that... although without insurance you may be without for phone for a week or two.

As for the charges, I am not sure anything more than 'good will' will come in a form of a refund.

Your handset used the data, and anything over the bundled allowance will be billed as it had been used, even if unintentional, as the phone/warranty/usability is different to your 'airtime' contract.

iOS devices also seem to be good at going to sleep, disconnecting from wifi, and then still using data in the background while on the mobile network... could that be happening?

kids

As the phone is still under warranty go to an Apple store and let them run a diagnositcs test in the phone.

If they find a fault they will either rectify it or replace the handset.

In the interim make sure that you  turn off cellular data if you think you are doing something on wifi, that way of the wifi signal drops cellular data will not cut in and you won't get unexpexted charges.