cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple's iPhone 7 ditches traditional headphone socket.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source: BBC News. 

Link > Apple's iPhone 7 ditches traditional headphone socket

Excerpt from the link

"The iPhone 7 will not have a traditional headphone socket.
Apple said its lightning connector could be used instead, which would make room for other components. It will also promote the use of wireless earphones, and has released a set of its own called Airpods.
The firm said it had taken "courage" to take the step.
However, it risks annoying users who will now require an adapter for existing headphones.
"

My thoughts. 

I use bluetooth headphones on my iPhone but I do also use a set of Monster Turbines in ear that cost £130 so it's good Apple are supplying an adapter in the box. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

19 REPLIES 19

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@BandOfBrothers Do you like the move to wireless or will you miss the headphone socket?

I use a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones - they're like a gift from the gods in noisy places. I'll never ever get on a plane without them. 

BandOfBrothers

Hey @KD

I've used Bluetooth earphones for a while now and like not having wires.

My-Review-Black-Wireless-Bluetooth-Music-SportIn-Ear-Headset.

However I did invest in some wired Monster Turbine Ear phones at £130 that give exceptional performance. They also have memory foam earbuds that expand to fit my ear perfectly. They are £14 for a set of three. 

I'm liking the look of the official Apple AirPods discussed in the Apple Keynote tonight ,and look to be full of tech to give a good listening performance. 

Apple AirPods.

£159.00. 

Thinking for the future I'm thinking the space gained from removing the 3.5mm headphone jack could let Apple introduce even more in the near future. 

Current Phone  >

Removing the headphone Jack made way for the "Taptic feedback" motor for the new Home Button and also the new camera. So that space is already in use apparently.

As with all iPhones, I personally think wait for the iPhone 7s. Unless you do the upgrade plan?

Good to see Apple giving a free audio adapter with the phones, it takes the sting of losing the Jack away a bit...

TSD.

Nabs

My thoughts...
I'd like to take people back to 2009... Vodafone released the HTC Magic, Vodafone's first Android device... this didn't come with a headphone socket (HTC clearly far ahead of the game!), instead just a mis-shaped mini-usb connection... we managed 7 years ago i'm sure people can manage now!

@thesoupdragon wrote:

Removing the headphone Jack made way for the "Taptic feedback" motor for the new Home Button and also the new camera. So that space is already in use apparently.

As with all iPhones, I personally think wait for the iPhone 7s. Unless you do the upgrade plan?

Good to see Apple giving a free audio adapter with the phones, it takes the sting of losing the Jack away a bit...

TSD.

Knowing me @thesoupdragon i'd lose the flipping adapter !

lol. :Winking_smiley:

I wouldn't be keen of having to carry around an adapter and additionally remember to carry it around !!

The cost of the Airpods is indicative of Apples products and accessories but saying that from the first look of them they are jam packed full of tech.  Still £159 Ouch. 

Current Phone  >

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)

Its typical apple to remove compatibility with what is a global standard to force users to go for accessories either manufactured by or licenced by apple. 

Expect the iPhone 8 to remove bluetooth functionality in favour of some apple proprietary standard

Also not sure that the adaptor is an option as it destroys the aesthetics and prevents you from charging at the same time (handy for long journies) 

At the end of the day its little risk for Apple as those that buy apple products won't mind being locked in and the big manufacturers will pay for a licence to incorporate the standard into their products.

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

BandOfBrothers

I'm also pondering if the extra connection between wired earphones to the adapter may degrade the quality of playback. 

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

Personally I have no problem with this  - I too use bluetooth headphones most of the time and I would never need to charge whole listening to anything.

Reports say that the haptic feeback on the home button takes a bit of getting used to but I like Touch Force very much so I don't expect to find a problem with that.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids

There are a lot of very valid coments on twitter regarding the new headphones being a good money spinner for Apple.

How long will it be before someone loses one and has to buy  a new set?

If you are wearing them and need to listen to sometjing else you have to remove one and hold it in your hand, no longer just let the headphones drop around your neck.

How many are going to get lost when people try to jog with them?

And probably the funniest: With the new headphones there will no longer be a way to distinguish between people who talk on the phone and lunatics who talk to them selves  :smileyvery-happy: