Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot make or receive calls or text but data works

Bftdsh
2: Seeker

I was wondering if any of you would know what could possibly be causing a bizarre problem. Ever since last week, I have been unable to make or receive phone calls or text messages yet my Internet connection is working. Despite several restarts, turning off 4G/3G etc. the issue of not being able to use the phone or text messaging facility on the phone persists. I cannot fathom it. Vodafone deny it is a fault with their network because a call to customer services was successful when my SIM was inserted into a different phone.

I should add that my account is in good standing an the IMEI of the phone has not been blocked (it is my phone!

8 REPLIES 8

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Is it possible that you have activated do not disturb on your phone?

PWIAC

Bftdsh
Hi
I have just checked and do not disturb is off

drey_p

Thanks for checking that.  

Does the issue happen when you put your SIM in another phone?

PWIAC

Bftdsh
Everything works perfectly in another phone
Just in my 5s it does this. Sometimes I have 0 bars signal sometimes 3-4 but doesn't work either way

drey_p

Have you done a reset on the phone at all as part of the troubleshooting you've been doing?

PWIAC

I have done a full erase from within the phone and am in the the process of a restore from recovery mode in itunes

drey_p

It may be worth holding off on the restore at present.  Just see if the phone works without any of your data back on it as it may help to eliminate where the issue is.  If it does work before you restore the data, then copy your data back onto the device and test it again.  Hopefully it will work then. 

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If all else fails and the iPhone is within its 12 month warranty you could if you have a local  store visit there and they'll run a diagnostic on it straight away or if there busy send a text to a nominated phone / number to return that day.

Or book an appointment via https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.