Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Conecting to iTunes

splurgetype
1: Seeker

Hi, I'm moving from my 3g to an iphone 5s which I've been given.  I have at last an unlock but it now tells me to connect to iTunes to make it happen.  I don't have iTunes, nor am I likely to use it if I do have it.  How do I proceed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@splurgetype

You can download ITunes for free and it takes about 5 minutes to do. If you want to keep your contact synced you will probably find ITunes is the best way in the future.

You could try setting up the phone as from new with an non-Vodafone SIM card as depending what ios you are using the unlocking procedure may kick in then. You can do that over wifi without iTunes using your Apple ID. It may not work on a 5S but is worth a try. If it won't work that way then iTunes is your only option. Using a friends iTunes will not have any effect on their iTunes as once you connect and see the unlocked message you can just disconnect the phone from iTunes,

You will also find it advantageous to use iTunes to do backups of your phone rather than relying solely on iCloud.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@splurgetype - You'll need to connect to iTunes to finish the unlock process. Maybe a friend or relative will have access to iTunes if you don't use it yourself?

kids

@splurgetype

You can download ITunes for free and it takes about 5 minutes to do. If you want to keep your contact synced you will probably find ITunes is the best way in the future.

You could try setting up the phone as from new with an non-Vodafone SIM card as depending what ios you are using the unlocking procedure may kick in then. You can do that over wifi without iTunes using your Apple ID. It may not work on a 5S but is worth a try. If it won't work that way then iTunes is your only option. Using a friends iTunes will not have any effect on their iTunes as once you connect and see the unlocked message you can just disconnect the phone from iTunes,

You will also find it advantageous to use iTunes to do backups of your phone rather than relying solely on iCloud.