Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excessive Data Usage

Chickjames
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've read a few posts about the general subject, but there doesn't seem to have been any activity on those threads for a while now, so have started a new one!

Basically, I randomly checked my usage yesterday using the My Vodafone app, and it showed my bill was £184 for this month so far! Clearly and error, I got in touch Vodafone support, via live chat. Explained the situation, and was told charges were for data usage, and suggested I had heavily used the data last thursday.

I did try to explain I didn't use my phone for any data heavy activity (facetime, skype, streaming, etc.), and even if I did, it would've happened whilst connected to my work wifi.

She wasn't having any of it, and told me to talk to a store as they can tell me if there is a problem with the handset.

I am yet to do that, as they'd be closed by the time I've left work, but I've done a bit of research about this, and have further analysed my usage, using info from My Account.

Month to date, i've apparently used 13.21 gb, 5.21 gb over my contractual allowance. I've gone through all the entries, and it does seem very odd. Many of the charges happen overnight when the phone is not it use, and would be connected to my home wifi. Same goes for during the day when my phone connects to my office wifi.

There are also some odd times, which appear to be almost regular. 5.84gb was used at 00:00, 06:00, 10:00, 12:00, 18:00 - all of which I am either asleep, or in the office, and therefore not using the phone.

On thursday the lady on chat mentioned, 4.62gb was used between 00:00 and 06:00 - again, I was sleeping.

I get that the phone will periodically connect to networks, even when on wifi, but surely not to this degree?

Other forums, both here and other networks suggest this is a problem common to iPhones, specifically iO6. Is this the case? If this the case? If so, where is contact from Vodafone? 

Additionally, where was the contact from vodafone to say i am exceeding my usage? I normally spend around £40 a month, not £180.

I've downloaded a data monitor (whilst in wifi!), and that does show unexpectedly high usage, but no where near what I am being charged...8.74MB in 48hrs, rather than several GB.

Has anyone else had an issue with Vodafone about this? Did you manage to get this resolved?

If there are any vodafone admins out there, I'd be very interested to know why I am being charged for something I have not used, and lack of notification to highlight the excessive charges!

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
A couple of points that may help.

1. The data billing during the night is generally the accumulative date charge for the previous 24hours.

2. More importantly, the iPhone only connects to wifi when it is awake. The only exception being is if it is connected to a mains power source. So, if you are not connected to a power source. The wifi drops out about 30 seconds after the phone goes into sleep mode, any data usage is then over cellular, the wifi does not reconnect itself until you physically wake up the phone. The same goes for when you connect to your work wifi, when the phone goes into sleep mode the wifi is dropped. Also if you are using wifi and the signal drop for a second the phone switches itself to cellular data and does not reconnect to wifi automatically, it only does so when the current data stream is ended so you may merrily be using what you think is wifi when you are actually using cellular. The only sure way to avoid this problem is to have cellular (mobile) data turned off.

I don't see how any of it is accumlative - the rest of the bill, which I am not disputing as is probably genuine usage is all sorts of random times. 08:07, 21:42, etc. Having so much usage at 00:00, 06:00, etc seem odd and out of place.

Also, I've read a lot about the wifi connection dropping whilst in sleep mode. My issue with this is the phone shouldnt be doing anything at these times - no downloads, no syncing, etc. Whenever I start using my phone, I always check its connected to wifi, unless I'm out and about.

Would be good to get some response from Vodafone direct on this....

Hi,

Thought I'd give an update to this incase there are any others out there having similar problems.

Vodafone continued to be unhelpful, refusing to acknowledge any issue, and categorically stating there is no issue, and I am liable for these charges. I was told if I wanted to dispute this, I would need to go to a store. I went to a store, and they couldn't understand why I would be told to go there, and they could do nothing about it themselves.

I spoke to Apple, who confirmed in writing, that there is an issue with iO6 causing excessive data usage, and this can be resolved by upgrading to iO7.

Despite initially saying it was ok, Vodafone have now dismissed the letter from Apple, meaning I had to get another, more explicitly phrased letter.

Vodafone are now just not actioning my request. I have been promised numerous phone calls back, but have not had one, and I have been hung up on 3 times whilst following this up (was not rude or aggressive).

Clearly, Vodafone are a shambles. They do not care about their customers, and even lie to try and get more money from them - I fail to believe they did not know about this issue previously.

3 months in, and I am now so frustrated with Vodafone, I am looking to terminate my contract.

If anyone is thinking about joining Vodafone, I beg you do not! Their quality of service is terible. O2 weren't perfect, but I certainly never had an issue like this!

Hi,

I know it was a long time ago that you posted on here but I have only just come across your post and really wanted to know did vodafone help you out in the end and what was the final resolution? I am going through the exact same thing as you as the moment but the amount they are trying to charge me is a lot higher and absolutely ridiculous. Vodafone have completly stressed me out and drained the life out of me. Been going around in circles for over 6 months now. They originally said they would waive the charges and even sent me a text to confirm after Apple spoke to them via conferance call with me but then they went back on their word and have not taken the charges off. I know you went through this before and would really appreciate it if you have some advice for how i can deal with this.

Thank you

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
The shop would have been to send the phone off for repair to check for a fault. This would confirm or deny the handset being the cause.

The letter from apple is worthless, since if you really are using seven month out if date firmware, Vodafone cannot be liable for any faults that occur due to you choosing not to update for so long (and if you are using iOS7 then the letter's saying that there's no fault, hence the data usage was not due to phone issues, ergo it's your responsibility).

Short of some proof that a fault caused the data use, you will need to pay for it.

So why, when in the shop, did they tell me to go and talk to Apple?

And why did I receive no communication from Vodafone to state iO6 has been noted to have a problem, and I should update asap? Plus, the phone is only 4 months old - this issue only came to light following the end of the data test drive.

The underlying point here is Vodafone are trying to charge me for incorrect usage for a known fault. They are brushing my concerns off, and not trying to help me resolve it.

Their level of service, and their attitude to resolving this issue is terrible, and I regret joining.

Hi Chickjames,

As GojuSuzi mentions, the store would have been happy to send the phone off for repair.

It seems that they also gave you the option of approaching Apple directly.

Software updates are released by manufacturers to correct any known issues.

If this issue has been caused by your phone being on an older version of firmware, we won’t be able to refund any of the data costs.

I’d advise you to sync your phone to iTunes and update to the latest version of iOS.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy,

See you are displaying the general "ain't our problem" attitude I've had throughout all of this.

Firstly, the store were not happy to send it off. They didn't even suggest that to me. My presense seemed an inconveniance, told me clearly that there is nothing the store to do, they do not know why customer service would tell me to go into a store, and the only people who could confirm if there was a problem was Apple. Which they did. Twice.

I've updated to the latest version now, after the issue was drawn to my attention, BUT these charges were not made by me, therefore I will not be paying them. Irrespective of whether there has been an update to the software, the phone was 3 months old, and I am well within my right to expect the phone to work correctly out of the box. If this issue was known by vodafone before, they should have made an effort to contact me and advise - you can phone me 3 times in 24 hours trying to sell me even more stuff, but you can't make a call and say 'Hey, make sure you are running the latest software version?'

Vodafone's attitude to this has been shocking! An awful company that just doesnt care!

drey_p

Hi there

The thing is, you are responsible for the usage that comes from your handset whether intentional or not.   I don't know why Apple doesn't pop up a message on your phone like Android users get telling you that there is an update available.

Your gripe here is with Apple for providing you with dodgy firmware and I would recommend that you contact them for any refunds.  Your usage with Vodafone is genuine, albeit not of your own making so you are going to have to pay for it unless you can prove without a doubt that the usage didn't come from your handset.  The issue that you have there is that you IMEI number is logged against your usage, so it would be near impossible to refute it.  You have to remember that the content of your data isn't logged so there is no way of knowing what was being requested.

PWIAC