Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excessive Data Usage

Chickjames
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've read a few posts about the general subject, but there doesn't seem to have been any activity on those threads for a while now, so have started a new one!

Basically, I randomly checked my usage yesterday using the My Vodafone app, and it showed my bill was £184 for this month so far! Clearly and error, I got in touch Vodafone support, via live chat. Explained the situation, and was told charges were for data usage, and suggested I had heavily used the data last thursday.

I did try to explain I didn't use my phone for any data heavy activity (facetime, skype, streaming, etc.), and even if I did, it would've happened whilst connected to my work wifi.

She wasn't having any of it, and told me to talk to a store as they can tell me if there is a problem with the handset.

I am yet to do that, as they'd be closed by the time I've left work, but I've done a bit of research about this, and have further analysed my usage, using info from My Account.

Month to date, i've apparently used 13.21 gb, 5.21 gb over my contractual allowance. I've gone through all the entries, and it does seem very odd. Many of the charges happen overnight when the phone is not it use, and would be connected to my home wifi. Same goes for during the day when my phone connects to my office wifi.

There are also some odd times, which appear to be almost regular. 5.84gb was used at 00:00, 06:00, 10:00, 12:00, 18:00 - all of which I am either asleep, or in the office, and therefore not using the phone.

On thursday the lady on chat mentioned, 4.62gb was used between 00:00 and 06:00 - again, I was sleeping.

I get that the phone will periodically connect to networks, even when on wifi, but surely not to this degree?

Other forums, both here and other networks suggest this is a problem common to iPhones, specifically iO6. Is this the case? If this the case? If so, where is contact from Vodafone? 

Additionally, where was the contact from vodafone to say i am exceeding my usage? I normally spend around £40 a month, not £180.

I've downloaded a data monitor (whilst in wifi!), and that does show unexpectedly high usage, but no where near what I am being charged...8.74MB in 48hrs, rather than several GB.

Has anyone else had an issue with Vodafone about this? Did you manage to get this resolved?

If there are any vodafone admins out there, I'd be very interested to know why I am being charged for something I have not used, and lack of notification to highlight the excessive charges!

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
Phones are NEVER fine out of the box. They will have been flashed with the latest firmware at point of manufacture, then sealed up, shipped out, sold, and received with possibly months en route. Meanwhile there's usually software updates within weeks of any new line being released. This means it's more likely you'll find a unicorn egg in your delivery box than a phone that doesn't need a software update. It is always recommended to check for updates on initial startup and on a regular basis. Vodafone do not babysit your updating.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

iOS does let you know that there is an update available but that notification is hidden in the general settings menu. It isn't as prominent as the way Andropid does it - but then again Android is light years ahead of iOS in all respects.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
When there is an update to the ios a badge appears on the settings icon. As per attached.

It remains there until the update is installed.

jeffkinn

Badge - yes - that's the word I couldn't think of.

The fact remains that excessive usage is not the network's problem - they didn't create it and cannot be expected to solve it. They sell the phones but are not responsible for the software on the phone or how customers use their phones.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p

@kids wrote:
When there is an update to the ios a badge appears on the settings icon. As per attached.

It remains there until the update is installed.

Thanks for that kids - I learnt something new!  I was under the impression, particularly from what the OP said, that there wasn't any notification to upgrade.

EDIT: In fact, thinking about it, I am sure that I got the same style of notification on my work iPad but as we have a number of custom apps we have to wait until IT gives us the go ahead to update so I wait for an email saying I can upgrade which is probably why I ignore it LOL

PWIAC

kids
By default the settings icin is on the home screen, if a user decides to move the settings badge to another screen then unless they happen to look for he settings icon they will miss the update notication.

jeffkinn
Does the notification not appear in the pull down notification centre? If it doesn't it certainly should do.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids
No, it appears on the settings icon, it also appears in iTunes on the summary page whenever the phone is connected.

Eftni
I've had this EXACT issue, even down to the times the data was being calculated and what vodafone were suggesting i do. After 5 phone calls to them, 3 online chat sessions and a store visit, it was agreed that I was owed a credit of £50 due to my bill being incorrect, i had to chase up the money being processed but finally it came through. Success? Of course not, having the Same issue this month, the very next month on from the issue being solved. Everytime I speak to vodafone they try to blame me or play dumb to my suggestions, often after me explaining the situation in a lengthy discussion they come to the conclusion that "I see the problem is that you have gone over your data allowance" so infuriating! I'm desperate to leave them but I don't want to pay them their early termination fee. So I guess I'll have to start up again with all the phone calls and God knows what else.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Eftni 

@Kids' post explains this in more detail.

This is a design feature of the iPhone and not something we have control over.

Thanks,

Ben