Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting charged for data usage when using free Wifi

bela
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have been getting charged for quite a few months now for data usage when using free Wifi. This is not my imagination, because at the start of my plan I have 'reset statistics' on my iPhone and my current 'mobile data usage' is the same as 'my usage' on the vodafone website. Which is not possible because most of the day I use free wifi (and no, it doesnt disconect) ... can you please help? I can't turn off 'mobile data' because I need to use my phone,

using iPhone 5S, software iOS 8.0.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Are you a Vodafone UK customer or a Vodafone Australia customer??

Either way, it is possible for your phone to use mobile data despite showing that you are connected to WiFi.  In order to prevent this from happening, you need to turn off mobile data on the device.  You will still be able to browse the internet over WiFi.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

drey_p

Hi there

Are you a Vodafone UK customer or a Vodafone Australia customer??

Either way, it is possible for your phone to use mobile data despite showing that you are connected to WiFi.  In order to prevent this from happening, you need to turn off mobile data on the device.  You will still be able to browse the internet over WiFi.

PWIAC

bela
Vodafone Australia. But if I turn off mobile data it will stop me from receiving texts no?
Thanks for replying

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

It will not stop you receiving sms texts but it will stop you receiving iMessages unless you are connected to wifi. If iMessage is not available texts sent as iMessages should arrive as a sms texts.

drey_p

@bela wrote:
Vodafone Australia.

You are aware that you have posted on the Vodafone UK forum?  This is specifically for the support of Vodafone UK customers.  If you have any further queries, you'd be best off posting on the Vodafone Australia Forum here as we can't give anything other than very general information.

PWIAC

Thanks for letting me know and replying :Smiling: