Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

How can I permanently erase data on my old iPhone 5 before selling?

2: Seeker Bronze

I got a new iPhone 7 and wanna sell my old iPhone 5, so, my concern is whether the simple deleted data can be easily recovered by some data recovery tools, because there are many sensitive data on my old iPhone 5. So, i wanna know if it's necessary to completely erase data from iPhone? and how?

View more options
22 REPLIES
Community Champion (Retired)

In the settings scroill down to "Erase all contents and settings" that will securely delete all the date.

You will need to sign out of your Apple ID on the phone first.

You can then also go into your Apple account and remove the phone from the list of your devices there.

View more options
17: Community Champion

If you use erase all contents and data then everything will be removed as well as any association with your Apple ID. 

That's pretty much all you need to do. 

This is apples own help link on the subject. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

IMG_0985.JPG

View more options

BandOfBrothers wrote:

If you use erase all contents and data then everything will be removed as well as any association with your Apple ID. 

BandOfBrothers wrote:

That is not quite correct.

The phone remains in your list of devices in your Apple profile until you remove it. by going into the list of devices and deleting it.

View more options

OP' concern is right. Here is a quote from CNET:

"Foctory reset is only the equivalent of performing a 'Quick Format' on your iPhone. All of the personal information that was sitting on the device prior to the restore is still accessible in the unallocated blocks of the iPhone's NAND memory."

My suggestion is to fill random data to your old iphone because it is hard to recover overwritten data from disk. Here is a demo on how to completely erase iphone: http://www.safewiper.com/tutorials/iphone-data-eraser.html

View more options

Factory reset is only the equivalent of performing a 'Quick Format' on your iPhone. All of the personal information that was sitting on the device is still accessible in the unallocated blocks of the iPhone's NAND memory.

View more options

hkrateus wrote:

OP' concern is right. Here is a quote from CNET:

"Foctory reset is only the equivalent of performing a 'Quick Format' on your iPhone. All of the personal information that was sitting on the device prior to the restore is still accessible in the unallocated blocks of the iPhone's NAND memory."

It goes on to quote Jonathan "NerveGas" Zdziarski a forensic recovery expert

"As part of my work on a forensics toolkit for the iPhone, I decided to push my test device to the limits and see whether user data could survive a full restore in iTunes. [...] I first deleted any backups of my device and then forced the iPhone into recovery mode. From there, I performed a full restore of my iPhone, ensuring that no backups or syncing was performed. I then performed a basic recovery of the raw disk using the forensic toolkit I put together, and analyzed it. What I discovered was that deleted mail, contacts, and pretty much all of my other personal information was still residing in unallocated space on the device. My personal information safe and sound, and available to anyone with the right skills to recover it."

So unless you have the necessary sophisticated forensic toolkit required the process suggested by Apple is all that is required

View more options

kids wrote:

BandOfBrothers wrote:

BandOfBrothers wrote:

That is not quite correct.

The phone remains in your list of devices in your Apple profile until you remove it. by going into the list of devices and deleting it.

I just checked my list of devices and my iPhone 6S+ that I sold a couple of weeks ago having first gone through the reset process and signed out of iCloud was not on the list. A mac, however, that I reset and sold a few months ago was astill on the list.

View more options

@jeffkinn An iPhone 5S that I wiped  and I gave away 2 months ago and is now being used on another Apple ID remains in my list as does and iPad I sold about 4 months ago.

View more options

@kids As with all things with computers and phones there doesn't appear to be any logic to it

View more options

kids wrote:

@jeffkinn An iPhone 5S that I wiped  and I gave away 2 months ago and is now being used on another Apple ID remains in my list as does and iPad I sold about 4 months ago.

how did you wipe your iPhone? 

View more options

Silverdewy wrote:

The same way that I always do and I have never had a problem.

Use the "Ease all contents and settings" which if the official Apple advice as here

View more options
Most people suggest me trying to erase all settings and contents on iPhone, but I won't believer that can make sure the data gone forever. and I also found a program called Safewiper iPhone data eraser states it can erase data completely without recovery, does anyone used it before?
View more options

Hi @Silverdewy

Please make sure you want to delete all content. Before doing this please double check you have saved / transferred all important data like photos ect. 

1. Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Now tap on General.
  3. Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Reset.
  4. Tap on Erase All Content and Settings.
  5. Tap on Erase iPhone.
  6. Tap on Erase iPhone again to confirm.
  7. Enter your Passcode.

Louise

View more options

Silverdewy wrote:

kids wrote:

Besides erase all settings and content, there is another alternative way to destory the data on the phone. The principle is that first write a set of random digits to the phone, then factory reset. This data on the phone will be overwritten and it is more secure.

Here is the tutorial: http://www.safewiper.com/tutorials/iphone-data-eraser.html

View more options

Silverdewy wrote:

kids wrote:

Besides erase all settings and content, there is another alternative way to destory the data on the phone. The principle is that first write a set of random digits to the phone, then factory reset. This data on the phone will be overwritten and it is more secure. Here is the tutorial: http://www.mobiledic.com/ios-topics/how-to-erase-iphone-before-selling.html

View more options
1: Seeker

Erase iphone data is very important for you to avoid the privacy data are leaked , so ,you must erase iPhone data before selling the iPhone , perhaps,have many people always think the simple delete data is enough ,in fact ,these data are still store on the iPhone untill they are be covered on the phone ,i don' t think it is a good idear, the data can be easy recoverd by and recovery tools, once you erase the iPhone data ,nobody can recover the data from iPhone again , because these data was deleted from phone permanently ,

View more options

In this situation , i usually select eraser tool to completely clean up iPhone data before selling , it works fine. once user press the erase everything button, the data can be disappear from iPhone,no one can find back them by recovery tool ,because I have already tried, first , i used to remove text message from iPhone , then i use some recovery tool to scan the phone device , but all failed , 

View more options

How to delete iPhone data before selling ?
To delete files on iPhone completely, you need the help of an professional tool:Erasephone, which empower you to delete  data from your iPhone , the deleted data or files can not be recover any more. you can delete messages ,photos,videos,music.contacts ,notes and more on your phone ,in this way , you can rest assured the sale of your mobile phone

View more options

If you need to delete data from your iOS devices completely, use an ios data eraser tool, I think that is helpful. You can erase all data without possibility to recover them, but remember to backup them first.

View more options