Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPhone using data at night

Aston106
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help, but after a couple of very unhelpful calls to Vodafone I can't seem to sort this problem. My daughters iPhone 5S has suddenly started using huge amounts of data to the point where she is going over her allowance. It's only started happening in the last two months, despite having the phone set up in the same way for well over a year. The usage mainly happens at night, at fixed intervals, for example, 01.31, 05.31, 09.31, 13.31 and so on. The time varies but always at the same minute past the hour. All the time this is happening while at home and connected to wifi. The amount of usage varies too, anywhere from 0.05mg to over 100mg each time. I've read about others having the same problem but they haven't found a solution. To clarify, I know that iPhones switch to data when they go to sleep if not charging, and I have also done the following -

Turned off wifi assist

All installed apps have mobile data turned off

Email is set to manual

Send Diagnostics and usage data is turned off

The only answer I got from Vodafone was to turn 3G off when at home, but that isn't practical and doesn't explain why my iPhone, and both my wife's iPhones don't do it and they are set up and used in exactly the same way. Meanwhile, Vodafone are charging me £6.50 a month for going over the allowance and don't seem too interested in helping.

Any other suggestions over and above what I have already done would be gratefully received!

9 REPLIES 9

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Just because the data is going on the bill at night, it doesn't necessarily mean it was used at that time.  The data for the day is lumped together and typically goes onto the bill in the middle of the night.  Usually in one go - but not usually with such regular intervals.

It would indicate potentially that an app is using the data, so I'd recommend that you download a data monitoring app to try work out what is using the data. 

Do remember that an iPhone that shows that it is connected to WiFi can still use data if the WiFi on the handset goes to sleep.  The only surefire way of stopping the mobile data being used whilst connected to WiFi, is to turn off mobile data.

PWIAC

Thanks for that. I'm getting the times and data usage from the current usage  on my Vodafone account and not the final bill which as you say, lumps it into one figure for the day. By using that you can see exactly what is used and at what time. What doesn't make sense is the fact that my phone doesn't do it yet is set up in the same way. As you suggest though I am leaning towards a rogue app that despite having mobile data turned off, is still pinging out every four hours. It might also explain why it's only recently started happening. Possibly the best option is a full factory reset and see what happens. Turning 3G off every time you get home is definitely not an option as she is 12, and 12 year olds won't remember to do that! 

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Another setting to look st is Wifi assist which if toggled on allows the iPhone to switch connection type. 

I personally turn this off. 

It's in Settings-Mobile Data-Wifi Assist - which is at the bottom. 

In the same place the iPhones internal data monitor shows which app has used how much data. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yep, as I said, wifi assist is off, and I checked the data usage of each of the apps and nothing seemed to be excessive, certainly no where near the monthly allowance. That's why I am so stumped with this!

BandOfBrothers

Sorry , Just wanted to reiterate how this affected me. 

If this was my situation I'd try troubleshooting by creating a back up via iCloud / iTunes and restore and then set up as new device instead of using my back up and then monitor what happens. 

Current Phone  >

Cheers. That's probably what I'll do. There have been no new apps download in the past few months, and the way in which the phone is used hasn't changed so it doesn't explain why it's only started happening since February. I tried resetting all the network settings too and that didn't work either. As I said though, it seems to be a problem for lots of people on different mobile networks but there is seemingly no definitive answer as to why. It has also been reported as a problem on Android which leads me to think it's the provider causing it but surely usage data isn't uploaded 10-15 times a day.

BandOfBrothers

No worries. 

There is the opinion that the iPhone uses more data than other phone types. 

However I can only speak from my own experience. 

I've used from the iPhone 4 up to the iPhone 6 Plus and am Payg. 

In that respect I use multiple networks and apart from being caught out with wifi assist my data has been pretty much constantly reasonable on all networks. I'm a heavy user. 

I no longer switch off Mobile Data at home when on Wifi as a personal choice ,and I charge my iPhone overnight with Airplane Mode toggled to On. 

Facebook is a very well known data hog as I'm sure your aware so I no longer use the Facebook app. I use the American Facebook app called Paper. However some people use a link saved to their home screen to use Facebook from the browser. 

I also choose to hit the homebutton twice and force close some apps. Apps are meant to be in a suspended state and although opinion is divided as wether there is a need to do this I prefer myself to do this. 

Look at point 2 in http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/29/tips-reduce-high-cellular-data-usage-iphone-ios/

Current Phone  >

Likewise, all apps get closed, and she doesn't have Facebook (12 is too young in my opinion!) From what I have read I would definitely agree that iPhones are tough on data usage, but it still doesn't explain why a phone bought and used since 2014 has only just suddenly started using excessive data.  I'm also aware that although Apple users think they are exempt from from malware and viruses, that's not strictly true so maybe there is something else on the the phone causing this. I didn't want to have to factory reset as it's a pain resetting all the passwords you've forgotten but I do think that's now the only option. Four iPhones in the house and only one causing problems would point to something on the device itself. Cheers for taking the time to reply guys, much appreciated.

BandOfBrothers

I've yet to meet anyone with a virus on an apple device or android or Windows.

You could book in with a https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ at your most local Apple Store or now Apple Stores let you walk in and they'll text you to return if they are busy. They could run a diagnostic to help rule out the possibility of any corruption. 

Current Phone  >