Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Incorrectly Blacklisted iPhone 6

Dunney
2: Seeker
On Monday 1st February my iPhone 6 which I purchased from the Apple Store a year ago which has only ever had a Three SIM card inserted, stopped working saying No Service.

After trying every possible fix I could find online, speaking to my network provider (Three Network) and Apple and also getting a new nano SIM card, I have been told by Apple that my phone has been locked to Vodafone.

So I ring Vodafone to and explain my strange issue that this phone has never had anything to do with the Vodafone network so why has it been locked to it. They asked me to fill out the NUC form online which I done. Then I get an email saying it cannot be unlocked because the phone has been blacklisted as it has been reported lost or stolen.

This is completely incorrect so I rang Vodafone technical department and got through to a not very helpful lady who said I need to visit my local store. Which I did, and as I thought they couldn't do anything but gave me a number to call where I got through to a helpful gentleman who confirmed that it was in fact Vodafone who blacklisted my iPhone.

So now I know it's Vodafone who have blacklisted the iPhone I need this taken off the blacklist as I am the owner of the phone and always have been. The phone has never been tied to Vodafone and was brand new from the Apple Store a year ago and has only had a three SIM card inside it.

I have been on the phone for a total of about 5 hours and had to visit my local town twice in a day to even get to this stage. It is effecting my livelihood as I am unable to make or receive calls or texts, all because Vodafone have incorrectly blacklisted an iPhone that should have nothing to do with their network.

Please please please could somebody look into this for me as I am at a complete loss of how to get this fixed so I can start using my iPhone on the Three network like I have been happily doing for the last year.

Kind Regards
17 REPLIES 17

Hi AnnS,

Yes you are correct, the iPhone has only ever had a 3 sim card in it so if anything you would expect it to be locked to that network. It is a very odd issue.

I just feel like i have been bumped around as no one wants to actually do anything or take responsibility.

So what i need confirmation of is that any network can take a phone off a blacklist, regardless of what network blacklisted the phone?

Also as the iphone was purcahsed unlocked from Apple, is this their responisbility to lift the blacklist as i only pay three for the sim not the phone.

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Dunney

You need to be persistant with Three.

There is no reason for them to be unable to locate the error made and remove the phone from the IMEI blacklist.

The phone is your property and used with a Three SIM.  If anyone reports the phone as lost and requests blacklisting, it should only be you.

It won't do any harm contacting Apple, they MAY be able to give you some advise.

@AnnS

I have an update after speaking with the most helpful person i have dealt with so far.

I rang my network (three) and they have checked to see if the phone is blacklisted, which it has, but they have said it is not them who have done it. As its not they who have blacklisted it they cannot see who has done it.

This gentleman i spoke to has raised a case to another department who do have the power to take it off the blacklist and find out who done it and why.

Which leads me to believe that if it wasnt Three who blacklisted it, it can only be Vodafone who has done it, as the phone has been confirmed as being locked to Vodafone.

Atleast i am on the right track to get it taken off the blacklist, but if it is confirmed that is is Vodafone who have blacklisted the phone then i would like to know why, considering ive never even had a Vodafone account. The amount of hassle this has caused me, i had to take a day off work yesterday to try and sort this out, ive been on the phone for about 5 hours and into my local town twice in a day, all because of a possible admin error.

Im pretty angry that there isnt a simple way to deal with this issue and i have been bounced around with no explanation. Finding out contact details or getting through to real people has been so taxing.

jeffkinn

It is physically impossible for the phone to be locked to Vodafone. iPhones bought directly from Apple are either factory unlocked and never ever lock to a network.

Or they are bought on a contract and are locked to that network.

iPhones bought from dealers such as Carphone Warehouse lock to the first network they are used with but once locked to that network they cannot be locked to another network.

Vodafone cannot remotely lock an iPhone (or any phone)  - it is impossible. The only possibility is that the phone was originally locked to Vodafone and was unlocked unofficially by someone and when iOS was upgraded it re-locked back to the original network

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Dunney
Well Apple themselves told me the phone has been locked to Vodafone so it can't be physically impossible.

The phone was purchased from Apple. And a sim only contract SIM card which is three network has been used in it solely.

Maybe the person I spoke to at Apple meant blacklisted by Vodafone rather than locked and which has caused a red herring as it were.

jeffkinn

That must be the case as it is impossible for the phone to be locked to Vodafone.

To find out the status of the phone get a Checkmend report

https://www.checkmend.com/uk/

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

babyg388
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Not sure if anyone will answer given thread is 2 years old

Was this resolved in the end?  What was the outcome?

The same thing has happened to an iphone7 i purchased in Sept 2016, this last week it has no service.

Currently on Three network and told it was blocked by Vodafone

Been through the Three customer services

Vodafone were saying it's never been on Voda so not their problem

Been going round in circles

Worst thing is, we've been using it since Sept 2016 and now it's Jan 2018!!

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@babyg388 I've responded to you on a previous thread:Smiling: