Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone 4 Unlock - second hand phone

lftS
4: Newbie
Hello,

I'm from germany and bought a used Iphone 4 on ebay. The phone is almost five years old. In germany i go to provider with such an old phone and they give me the code (free). I only have to give the imei. I contacted vodafone uk and a service helper told me it would be no problem in my case to unlock the phone. Now i got from nuc several emails that i have to provide the mobile number with that the iphone was registered. This is not possible. I need the unlock code urgent. I called apple and they told me i only need the imei so they wondered.

Can someone help me please? It is a five year old phone.

Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

I'm sorry but Vodafone will only unlock the iPhone for the original owner and account holder.

You would have to ask the original owner / account holder to request the unlock for you.

Their is no way around this.

If it was listed as unlocked then perhaps look at asking for a refund.

 would not engage with you regarding the unlocking of a Network locked phone.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

lftS
So i have a really old phone. Everywhere around the world imei is sufficient...even at vodafone...And i dont get a key so i can throw the phone away?

BandOfBrothers
Hi

Every network has its own rules / T&C

Vodafone's is that they'll only unlock a phone for the original owner / account holder.

Ask the person you bought it off if they are the account holder and original owner and ask them to unlock it.

Or ask for refund or perhaps sell it on.

Sorry I'm the bearer of not so good news.

Current Phone  >

lftS
And what is the reason behind it ? Besides the fact this is totally against environment to produce wadte because of extra rules no one else - even apple - understands?

BandOfBrothers
The reason why Vodafone UK will only do this is to protect the account Holder and original owner incase a phone is lost or stolen.

Insurance fraud comes into play too.

 may very well understand what your saying but they will not engage a person in regards to unlocking an iPhone that's been sold as locked to a Network.

Current Phone  >

More information here

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Account-specific-discussions/Unlocking-your-phone-FAQs-NUC/td-p/19738...

Current Phone  >

AnnS

@lftS

Restricting unlocking is nothing to do with rules made by Vodafone or any other network or phone manufacturer.

The reason for unlocking to be restricted to the original owner is to protect the original owner and to prevent fraud on the second hand phone market, something which we should all support and is in everyone's interest.

It is the decision of the original owner who has the proof of purchase to decide whether or not the phone gets unlocked.

Glad you understand and support keeping fraud and crime away from the second hand phone market.

lftS
And all other providers dont care about safety? The imei serves for checking if a phone is stolen. I ask for my legal unlock for a phone i legally purchased. Other people use that jailstuff or buy these codes someWhere else i saw. I wont do because I know that this is legal. But it is really said what vodafone calls their policy.

AnnS

@lftS wrote:
And all other providers dont care about safety? The imei serves for checking if a phone is stolen. I ask for my legal unlock for a phone i legally purchased. Other people use that jailstuff or buy these codes someWhere else i saw. I wont do because I know that this is legal. But it is really said what vodafone calls their policy.

but you purchased a second hand iphone on ebay and therefore you are not the rightful owner.   Its  not your right or decision whether the phone gets unlocked, thats for the original owner to decide.  

As already explained, restricting unlocking to the original owner is nothing to do with policy.  If the details don't match with the original owners, Apple will kick out the request.

Can't comment on overseas network unlocking security, the UK networks are working to prevent second hand mobile phone crime.