Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone 4 wont unlock?

amyberr
2: Seeker
I was given an iphone 4 locked to vodafone. We contaced them and recieved an email last week wednesday 10th june to say the iphone is now unlocked.
I connected to itunes with my o2 sim as instructed but would not accept it saying the network carrier is not supported. I tried with another sim and still the same message (also a vodafone sim that had no problem at all and performed a restore with that too, but still not unlocking!) I have restored to factory setting several times and continuing to try throughout the day everyday connecting to itunes with no luck. I have tried everything but nothing is working and im getting so frustrated, please can anybody help! The refrence number with my comfermation unlock is 1795325 if this will help at all?
14 REPLIES 14

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
You'll just have to keep trying with iTunes. Eventually apple will process the unlock but no one will be able to tell you when.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

amyberr
Im just a bit confused as vodafone e-mailed to say the phone is now unlocked? 8 days on and still locked?

jeffkinn
Vodafone passes the unlock request to Apple and they actually unlock it. There is no visibility as to when that'll happen and it can take many days.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

amyberr
Ok thank you for your reply.

BandOfBrothers
Hi

Certainly a conundrum!

To be honest restoring though itunes would not help.

I assume the non Vodafone SIM cards your using to complete the unlock are activated.

I would speak to customer services on 191 just to double check

You may have to request the unlock sequence a second time if it continues to fail.

I hope this clears for you asap.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

There have been lots of instances reported here that Apple is taking up to 3 weeks to unlock phones.

Patience is needed.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers
That's pretty poor

But I understood that Vodafone request the unlock from Apple and they complete that request and then inform Vodafone that's it's complete ,and then Vodafone email the account holder advising.

The Op has received the email from Vodafone so it should complete now.

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

I don't think that's how it works. Vodafone issues the email to the customer when they requests the unlock from Apple. 

After that there is no more communication and the customer has to keep trying with a new sim until it works.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers
Ah right thanks for that Jeff.

More knowledge to my memory bank 😉

I think the actual process is a little bit grey area possibly.

Perhaps one of the Tech Team can help.

I've always purchased from the  store so mine are unlocked.

But I've helped friends and colleagues who have been through the process and have been able to unlock as soon as the email had arrived as long as an activated SIM card has been used.

Current Phone  >