Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone 5S being repeatedly replaced

MaryBetamax
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hello, I am looking for some advice please, I hope somebody can help me.

I have an iPhone 5S on a two year contract, bought from Vodafone just over a year ago.

About two months in, the battery became unreliable, showing wildly varying levels of charge from minute to minute. I took it to the local Vodafone store (six miles away). They sent it for repair, and I went back to collect a new phone a few days later. The new phone was fab.

Two weeks ago the screen failed completely, I took it to the local Vodafone store, and they sent it off for repair. Fortunately it was just three days before the end of my first year of the contract, so I qualified for the repair service. A few short days later, I was back at the store and collected a shiny new phone, which I took home.

Sadly I discovered the 'new' phone had a faulty charger socket which did not react to any of my charger cables or my PC USB cable. Not a sausage. With this phone rapidly going flat, I returned it to the store the same day, and the (helpful, friendly) staff booked it in as a new repair and sent it off.

I called back into store today to collect my handset, which appeared to be new, and which was tested in front of me to make sure it would charge. I've spent most of the afternoon/evening updating the software and restoring my apps etc, with the phone connected to my PC throughout. It did not reach a full battery, and when I disconnected it around 8pm, the charge quickly fell to around 60%. It also refused my (genuine Apple) charger and also one of my certified leads, variously claiming they were non-genuine, or just ignoring them.

It has accepted another certified lead and is now on charge, where I will leave it overnight, then assess its performance tomorrow. It also became extremely hot earlier, hotter than I've noticed before, and it's become very hot again now, which concerns me greatly.

Assuming the worst case scenario, that I decide the phone has to be returned, I have a few queries:

1. If this cycle continues, how long before Vodafone say that they won't replace my phone again? None of these faults have been caused by me but I am concerned they will say I've had all the replacements I'm entitled to.

2. Can I ask to replace my contract and handset with an entirely different brand, like my husband's infallible Samsung? I LOVE my iPhone but I'm loving it less all the time as it's letting me down badly. I think this will be my last iPhone contract.

Just as a note, I want to add that I've read advice on other posts, that we should take phones to an Apple store where they will most likely be replaced there and then. That wasn't my experience when I took my 4S with its greyed-out wifi button into the Genius Bar in London while on a day trip. The answer was to take it back to Vodafone where you bought it, or we can replace it if you pay us - you should have bought it from us.

I'm sorry this post became so long but I think the detail is important. Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You've really had a run of bad luck with this phone.

I don't believe that there is a limit to the number of repairs or replacements you can have.  That said, I don't think it would be something that they would publicly announce.

If you wanted to swap to a new phone that wouldn't be an issue as you can buy and use any handset with your contract. However, it is unlikely that Vodafone will allow you to change half way through. 

As for the advice of going to an Apple store, we usually recommend that because people have reported that Apple usually swap the phone out on the spot.  Whilst it isn't what you have experienced, it is what most other people have. 

PWIAC

GojuSuzi
I think (although I may be wrong as I've never been unlucky enough to test it) that you have a grace period after a repair whereby if you discover a fault, they'll presume it was received that way, similar to a new contract's 14 days, and repair/replace even if you've snuck over warranty. Obviously not if you've smashed it or some malarky, but the sort of things you've seen, yeah.

It's always worth trying Apple. To be honest, the "no questions exchanges" that have been frequently reported tend to be on new models that they're still trying to pretend are flawless. It makes good business sense to accept a certain loss on written off handsets rather than see a common fault do the rounds of the internet and have potential buyers put off. And older model, such as your 4s, and possibly even the 5s now, they have less concern for, because all the problems have leaked as far as they can already so there's no real brand damage control benefit to them, and they can easily play any issues off with a "yeah but we fixed that in the [insert latest version here], you really should buy that one", so it's an actual selling point for their newest range. Might not be nice, but it is understandable from a business perspective. But, as said, always worth a try; worst they can say is no.