Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone C broken within contract period

Zoidberg7766
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Really hope I can get a result from this now at a dead end.

Ive been a vodaphone member for the past 4 years, and had a rocky road at best - However 2 years ago I upgraded to an iPhone C to continue my contract into its second 24month term.

The phone has been a nightmare, stopped working after 7 months and took to an Apple store who confimred this was not damage but a warrenty covered internal fualt. 

This phone only came with 90 days warrent!, Sods law this phone has now broken after 6 months, having taken it to apple they again say its an internal electrical problem and not my fault, howver Apple will not to replace for free as the 90 days warrenty has run its its course.

Apple say the only way forward is to buy a new handest at £200 but again this will oly come with a 90 day warrenty.

I'm not happy with the quaility of this phone to risk spending so much money on a phone that has broken at no fualt of mine twice.

Im now left without a phone, Vodaphone shop have done nothing to help appart from accusing me of breaking it myself of which Apple have confimed I have not.

Apple have given me a link stating that You (Vodaphone) have a legal duty to ensure I have a working phone for the duration of my conteract (link below) Can I please have some help with this, as I said the floor sales people at Vodaphone and Apple have been no help at all.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

The outscome I am looking for is a new working handset or an end to my contract (which expires in August this year) so I can get a new phone with a full warenty. I'm not lookking for an upgrade OR to restart a new contract.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

As the phone only came with a 90 day warranty it must have been a used phone to start with.

Even an Apple replacement phone has as you have discovered carries a 90 day warranty.

Your problem is that under the legislation you posted a link to it is for the consumer to prove that the phone was fauly at the point of sale

If voddafone or Apple were to replace the handset under a warranty waiver you would not get a new phone with a full warrantly, you would receive one of the Apple reconditioned phones that all have the 90 days warranty.

You best bet is to ask Apple to confirm in writing to you what the fault is and that it is not possible for the consumer to have caused it. with that you could write to Vodafone at the address at the foot of this page, send it by Recorded Delivery, along with the Apple documentation.although vodafone do not have a legal obligation to replace the phone being out of warrany they make look kindly at your problem.

Personally I would be surprised if Apple gave you such confirmation as they would then be admitting it was a manufacturing fault, but it is worth a try.

No it was a new phone from Vodaphone, both only lasted 7ish months before breaking. Apple confimed it was internal fault when taking them back in.

kids

The original phone from Vodafone came with a 12 month warranty and when it stopped working after 7 month Apple   gave you a replacement with a 5 months warranty Vodafone would have honoured the full 12 months warranty had an issue occured.

However as your current phone has delveloped a fault which takes it beyond the orignal 12 months warranty original warranty itmeans the phone is now not covered  you will need to show that the fault was inherent in the manufacturing process.

The maximum warranty that Apple give is 12 months unless you take out an extended warranty agreement.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

You Could see if Apple will help as a goodwill gesture although as intimated they may offer about of warranty replacement at a cost. 

Alternatives to consider are home insurance and or check if your Bank Account offers mobile cover. T&C and excess fees would apply 

You could speak with Citizens Advice to see where you do stand. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

grolschuk

Something does not quite add up. (assuming you are on a consumer contract, not a business one)

If your original new phone was repaired/replaced under warranty, then the original warranty term is transferred to the new device.

Items sold in the UK should also be fit for purpose, which in my mind includes that if a handset is sold alongside a 2 year contract, the device should last 2 years.

Even though the Apple warranty is 12 months, Vodafone have to abide by that, and thus any faults with the device that are not self inflicted should be covered, and look at it for you.

Do you have the paperwork from when you had the warranty swap?

Vodafone should see on your account you had a new handset, and what the SN of that was.

They can then see that SN was exchanged for your current phone by Apple under warranty.

Who/where says that the second handset only has 90 days on it?

BandOfBrothers

I'll have a dig around @grolschuk 

When my son recently had his iPad Air swapped at the Apple Store they advised the remaining warranty would transfer across to the replacement or 90 days whichever was the longest period.

"A replacement part or product or a repaired Apple Product assumes the remaining warranty of the original Apple Product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

For service requested in a country other than the country of" 

from WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT OF A WARRANTY CLAIM?

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Appl only give 90 days warrenty with replacement phones